Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Cougar nuts. I was curious if anyone makes repo instrument gauge lenses for a 69 panel? I was looking through Don's site but didn't come across any. I'm restoring my cluster and was curious if I could just buy some or if I'm going to have to get the haze out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I don't think Bob does anything regarding lenses.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok, try asking Don to contact you, if and when he comes across a set of lenses. I bought a clean glass lens for my '68 clock, from him, as mine had a crack in it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
On my 70 XR7 mine were cloudy, a friend suggested that I use BRASSO and a soft cloth and finish them off with ICE spray wax...WOWY! What difference that made. Just saying...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My understanding (and experience) has been that the cloudy ones are cloudy inside the plastic and it will not come off no matter how much you polish. I tried anyway on a XR7 speedo lense that was better than another I had but cloudy. I succeeded in making a lense with a nice shiny finish that was still cloudy.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Like Bob says - the majority of them are yellowed out/cloudy due to the plastics back in the day. But you aren't out anything trying to save it. I've had pretty good results with the 3M kit for polishing headlights out.....at least it's a big improvement. Mothers also makes a plastic polish - but it seems to be better suited to a real fine polish on something to finish it, or just didn't need much help anyway.....works good on CD's at least. If you spring for the 3M kit you can fix you and your neighbors DD headlights while you're at it!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I use Novus.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I have ONE NOS gauge lens left....any offers?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty sure West Coast Classic Cougar sells them...I was looking the other day for my '70, but I could be confused, I was also looking at new lenses for my '68 GTO.
Jeff

·
Registered
207 Posts
I currently have mine out of my 68 and they are actually still very clear but they do have water spots on them and some scratches that will not come off with standard class cleaner. I thought about using the cleaner for fogged up/hazy lenses but I do not want to make them worse. I can live with the spots but am just wondering if anyone else tried something that worked.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I currently have mine out of my 68 and they are actually still very clear but they do have water spots on them and some scratches that will not come off with standard class cleaner. I thought about using the cleaner for fogged up/hazy lenses but I do not want to make them worse. I can live with the spots but am just wondering if anyone else tried something that worked.
You can use tooth paste or chrome polish, either works well

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I recommend Novus plastic polishes. I have set, cleaner, heavy scratch remover and fine scratch remover. Works great.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts