Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69' Cougar with the standard gauge cluster (Speedo/Fuel/Temp) and I'm thinking of replacing it with the an XR7 cluster (Speedo/Tach/Amp/Oil/Temp/Fuel). Is this going to be a plug and run swap, or will I need to replace the sending units. I believe I have the schematic for wiring the tach. The stock cluster is red, and believe the XR7 cluster I'm pondering is red as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kevin

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a 69' Cougar with the standard gauge cluster (Speedo/Fuel/Temp) and I'm thinking of replacing it with the an XR7 cluster (Speedo/Tach/Amp/Oil/Temp/Fuel). Is this going to be a plug and run swap, or will I need to replace the sending units. I believe I have the schematic for wiring the tach. The stock cluster is red, and believe the XR7 cluster I'm pondering is red as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kevin
I think that you will need the harness from the XR7 to make it a "plug and run" swap. You "might" be able to cobble something together to get it to work though...

·
Registered
304 Posts
It is not plug and play. I did it but the low fuel and amp gauge do not work. Takes an xr-7 wire harness. Can't remember but had a time getting tach working. So you can do it but will need to mod some things if staying with standard harness. You will also have to replace sending units and swap wires in the gauge cluster clip. Pain in the a$$ but i like the xr dash way better. I think Don has an amp to volt gauge swap i will put in later.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was afraid of. I installed a tach on a 69 years ago. One of the wires went through the ignition switch. Don't think I want to rewire the car just jet. Thank you for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts