Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a cluster out of a X-R7 w/ the factory tach. My question is, do I have to pull the whole top half of the dash (dash pad) to install it. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
XR7 dash

I've done this twice my salf. You also need the XR7 wiring harness. You could repin the standard harness but you still don't have wiring for the tach. When I did it the first time I had a compleet 70 XR7 for parts. Doing this with XR7 wiring you also need the XR7 altenator harness. If yoou get a XR7 harness let me know and I'll send you a diagram to turn the switch harness in to a copy of the Eliminator jumper so the curtisy lights will work. Neal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey badcatt, would you send me that info as well. I'm doing the same thing. Well not exactl. I'm just pulling the speedo and the tach out of an XR7 dash. I should be able to wire them in with no problem, but it would be great to have something to cross reference. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE

Would the oil pressure, and voltometer work with my factory wiring harness? I should be able to run a hot wire from the coil to the tach and it work shouldn't it? And what do you mean by courtesy lights?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
You will have to change the oil sender as the one in a standard is for the idiot light, Ith amp metor I doupt would work as it is not wired for it. The tach works of the altinator circit some how. The lights at your feet when you open the door and the ones in the C pilor are the courtesy lights. also some have lights on the door trim and the map light. I have a wiring diagram set for 69 and 70 Cougars(and mustangs). I'll look them over this evening to see how much needs to be done. As I said I had a XR7 parts car with all I needed. I figgured that would be the best way. Neal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts