Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting a complete restoration oy my 67 non XR7. I removed the gas tank last night which is new and salvageble. I removed most of the gas, but a small amount is still in the tank. Since I anticipate this resto-mod to take about three years the tank will be off the car for some time. Are there any tips or additives that people have used to avoid corrosion in the tank while it sits in my garage. I don't think I need any of the coatings to restore the tank since it is brand new. Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would pour some motor oil in and slouch it around and let it set, or dry out completely and let it set.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine sat at least 10 years bone dry. Still looked new inside when i put it back in. Good luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
depends on where u are going to store it. if inside a dry garage its not much of an issue but if it were mine, id prob fog it inside with some fogging oil or WD40 just to make sure. bottom line is to make sure its 100 percent dry before u put it up. i only wish someone would have done that to mine hahaha i yanked mine out and it appeared solid till i put water in it to clean it out and it sprayed out of about a hundred pin holes all around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts