Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive pulled my fair share of tanks before, just trying to get some insight before I begin tomorrow. Hows the tank held? Straps or bolts? Should I remove the sending unit first? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Straps hold in the 1971-73 fuel tanks.
Siphon or drain the tank (I don't remember if there is a drain on the 1971-73 tanks) as far as possible to remove as much weight as possible.
I generally plan on replacing the hose that connects the sending unit and the main fuel line.
Keeping that in mind, I clamp the rubber hose on the fuel tank side (be careful to not crush the steel lines), and put a small pan underneath. Then I cut the rubber connection hose on the fuel line side.
Very little fuel spills, and I can lower the tank without much effort. You can also jam a bolt into the other end of the cut rubber fuel line if you like.

The hardest part will be removing the filler neck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the sending unit hole work as a drain? its on the bottom drivers side, thinking maybe if I take the brass punch to the locking ring and remove the sending unit, it'll act as a drain since its on the bottom

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you're putting in a new tank, new gas tank straps/bolts are a good idea...

Also, this is the perfect time to 'detail' the back end of the car!

While you're at it, now is the time to replace the rear leaf springs if you have to, since it is much easier with the tank gone!

...and another thing...

These "while-you're-at-its" is the cause of many projects going astray and taking so long. I think I hold the record for that, LOL!!!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Would the sending unit hole work as a drain? its on the bottom drivers side, thinking maybe if I take the brass punch to the locking ring and remove the sending unit, it'll act as a drain since its on the bottom
Only if you like gasoline baths.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
These "while-you're-at-its" is the cause of many projects going astray and taking so long. I think I hold the record for that, LOL!!!
Check your mirrors, Milo; I might be closing in on your record.

Hey, do you think it have something to do with the model year?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hey, do you think it have something to do with the model year?
Nah, has much more to do with working, being married, and the 'joys of home ownership' getting in the way. I was much more focused when I was younger, single and didn't have a house. Back then I did most of my work at a buddy's house, so he helped me with my projects, and I helped him with his... That kept us both motivated. Then I got distracted by the Femalians and it was all over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts