Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaky gas tank now. The gas drips from somewhere around where the short rubber hose goes from the tank to the metal tube that takes the gas up to the front of the car. I replaced the rubber hose, and it still leaks, so now I think that gas is leaking out of the tank somewhere, so if I have a leak coming from the tank itself, what can I do to seal it for about a week or so? I was thinking of some kind of glue or something I can use to squirt it on the leak and hope to stop it for a while... Any suggestions??? thanks - Chad

·
Registered
75 Posts
hmmmmm

That is a tough one, but once you locate the leak, you might try some JB WELD or some MAGNUM STEEL (you can find either of those at any hardware store)for a quick TEMPORARY fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.

Ok new question: I've isolated the leak.. The gas, now gushing, is coming from the fuel sending unit, where that little elbow sticks out of the tank. New question is if I just got a new fuel sending unit, could I put it in myself? If I can swap out the sending units it would only cost me 30 dollars, rather then a mechanic costing ten times that. If I can change the units myself are there any tricks I should know about? Thanks for the help all. This is pissing me off right now. It's midnight, freezing, and I'm under my car with a flash light, getting gas in my hair and eyes, I just want to go to bed - anyway thanks - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chad, Its not that hard to change. There is a lock ring that holds it to the tank. A screw driver and a hammer are all you need to drive it counter clockwise and then it will lift right out. Make sure you have a new O Ring that goes under the fuel sending unit before you reassamble. Of course you know you have to drain the tank before you do all this.mm

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sending unit

Be safe. Use a brass punch or a piece of wood to turn the lock ring. A spark could kill you.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yeah. Sparks suck. But they're right, it's not hard to change.

Me, I just said "frig it" and just ordered a new tank and sender. They're both aces now, and the tank doesn't have 30 years of "gunk" in it anymore...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You 'Da Man Logan!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah, You guys are right about the brass punch. I know better but old habits are hard to break. I guess I have been lucky that most the time the rust helps keep sparks down.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you order a new sending unit, make sure you also order a new lock ring. The new sending unit will not include one, and chances are you'll destroy the old one trying to get it off if it is at all rusty. Make sure you also use a new gasket (rubber o-ring).

Cougrrcj tip #209 ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts