Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 Cougar. New Edelbrock carb. When parked after driving, the whole garage smells of gas; ALWAYS. There are no gas leaks that I can find; none by the carb as well. Car gets only 10 mpg (302 4V automatic). Any suggestions where the terrible gas smell might be coming from?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you have braided fuel lines you will always smell gas.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Catnip, I'd start at the gas cap, and check everywhere forward of that for signs of slow leak/weepage. My brothers minivan had the same thing, and it turned out to be a bad seal at the sender- to- tank seal. Didn't leak enough to puddle but when you looked at the tank underneath it had a wet area where it was weeping.

Runinwyld, I don't understand your point about braided lines. You should never smell any gas from them, if you do then they are not assembled correctly.

Kevin

·
Registered
210 Posts
Runinwyld, I don't understand your point about braided lines. You should never smell any gas from them, if you do then they are not assembled correctly.

Kevin
in my experience, usually after being parked for a while, they will smell of gas....but your diagnosis is the more probable explanation.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
had a similar problem with the eliminator. turned out to be the seam on the fuel tank had come apart. only found out one day when I topped the tank up for the first time. lift the trunk mad and look for stains around the tank

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If it's smelling that bad you should easily be able to locate a wet spot between the tank and the carb - don't make me use the fat girl and the flour joke!! ;>) teehee

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Another thing to consider is the float setting of the carb. You said new carb and I assume the smell was not there before. When you shut down the engine a bit of heat rise will occur and if the carb float level was near the over flow level, the added heat will cause some expansion and perk off a bit. It can spill into the intake and cause a gas smell.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
There's always a level of fumes on these cars, so you will have some smell. But if it's raw gas, you should identify the source. Depending on what gears you have, your mileage isn't to out of line. Maybe running a bit rich which would contibute to smells as well. You can look at your plugs to see if it's running rich. You can also add a phenolic spacer under the carb to help reduce temps on the carb.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Like $15 at Summit/Jegs/etc.....Be sure it works with your manifold/carb type before ordering. (Open - small/large butterflies, etc)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Check the tank for pinholes or, as Leon said, poor pinch welds.

Check your oil to make sure it's not being diluted with gasoline as well by smelling it and noting the level. If the fuel pump ruptures or the idle is incorrectly set, you can get excess gas in the engine oil. Left unchecked it can be a big problem. Smells gasoliney too.

Pull the top of the Edelbrock off and check the floats for appropriate level. Takes maybe 20 minutes, a screwdriver, and a measuring device.

Work on it outside. Gasoline fumes are very toxic to your body. Don't spend time in an enclosed space with the fumes. Not even 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
68 Cougar. New Edelbrock carb. When parked after driving, the whole garage smells of gas; ALWAYS. There are no gas leaks that I can find; none by the carb as well. Car gets only 10 mpg (302 4V automatic). Any suggestions where the terrible gas smell might be coming from?
Did you have this problem before the carb change? If not, concentrate on anything that you touched during that operation. The fuel lines and all that. Look down where the fuel line attaches to the fuel pump even though you didn';t loosen it there. Just moving things around could have done something. Last resort, if this occurred only after the change, put the old carb back on and see what happens.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The ceiling of my 70 cougar's tank rusted. I would get fumes inside the car. Searched and searched and finally found small pin holes in the tank. From the inside of the trunk the tank looked almost NOS beautiful. Darn rust had come through the top of the tank from the inside.

Phenolic spacers are a good idea, keeps heat from boiling (usually just preventing vaporize) the fuel out of your carb.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Carburetor-Spacers/Brand/Summit-Racing/Product-Line/Summit-Racing-Carburetor-Spacers/?autoview=SKU&keyword=phenolic+spacer%2Cphenolic+spacer%2Cphenolic+spacer%2Cphenolic+spacer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts