Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I jus got a 2000 Mercury V6 cougar. But when i try to pump gas into the car...it pumps for a hot second then stops. I do it repeatedly and it definitely isnt full. Anyone else having this problem? or any ideas for solutions??? Thanx

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I cut down on the beans and now have no gas problems. Opps wrong gas! I have that problem with my 89 Ranger P.U. some times. Just seams to depend on the pump. neal

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i sometimes have that problem on my 96 sohc t-bird.
i just ajust the angle and depth of the nozzle til it flows good, sometimes i have to ease into the trigger, instead of slamming the valve open

·
Registered
794 Posts
my wife used to have a 96 contour and I had the same problem. I eventually found a gas station without the damn boot around the nozzle and it worked good. I'd bet the same filler is used on the 2000 cougar as the 96 contour too. Dont they share the same chassis?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had a Ford Ranger that did that, and my friend's Ranger does it too. What it was, is the tube going to the tank was at a sharp angle, and was tripping the overflow sensor. So, what we did, was just pump at about half or 3/4 of the speed. Worked great for me, still does for him.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
THere was a recall for that problem last year for the 99 models. We had it done to the wife's car and it solved the problem. My 01 never had the problem. Check with your local Mercury dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
make sure the spring loaded rubber boot that goes around the nozzle is pushed as far back as feasible. They won't pump for more than a second if it doesn't sense that it's fully within the filler pipe...That had me majorly confused one day when I was trying to fill up my motorcycle...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts