Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are your gas prices in your home town. I live in Florence Oregon and gas is $1.69 for super & 1.49 for regular. Whats the highest Octain rating you can get at the pump only 92 here, and belive me a 10.5 to 1 compession motor don't like it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Can't really complain too much. Down here in Keller, TX (Just northeast of Fort Worth), I can get cheap regular for $1.33, and name brand regular for $1.40 or so...

It's been 6 months since I've had to put gas in the cougar, so I haven't been paying too close attention to the price of 92. My motor is turning 9.5:1 compression and runs just fine on pump gas...

But regardless, I just moved here a year and a half ago from Montreal, QC, Canada, and believe me, this is cheap. I won't start complaining until it bounces up over $2.00 a gallon. :)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott If detonation is your problem it may not be your fuel.These engines tho "requiring 99 octane"or so were engineered for far less octane.If your distributor advances are incorrectly set you can get detonation.Worn springs or bushings in mechanical advance ,vac adv module set incorrectly.initial timing set incorrectly,are three of four things that come to mind .Fourth being that carbon deposits can cause early combustion or if rebuilt any sharp edges on pistons or heads can cause detenation.Make sure your initial timing is between 6 and 10 degrees with a total advance of no more than 37 degrees.Ray

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott I have two 10.5:1 351W 4V engines and I run them on 89 octane fuel that cost 73.9 cents per litre.Multiply 73.9 by 4 for US measure or 4.45 to calibrate Canadian galln and its $2.99 Canadian per US gallon.Then convert Canadian currency to US funds thats $2 US per 1 US gallon gas.Does it hurt? Only when I'm awake.To Fill any of my Cougars costs $50 CDN.A 390 car will go 200 miles a tank or 40 cents/mile.Your US gallon of gas is by far the better deal

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OUCH Ray,
I used to live in Alaska and drove through the Yukon on my way back to the lower 48 in my Dodge Truck, that got 10 MPG and I remember well the prices I paid in Canada. I hope prices stay were they are for a while 1.69 in much better than the 2.06 it was 3 months ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray, I,d like to revisit that timing issue. I'm running my car with the vacuum advance disconected the reason is. When it's connected I get way to much advance almost 45 deg and that's starting at 8 BTDC. My question is do ford distributors have a vacuum advance adjustment like MOPAR does.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
YIKES!! 45 degrees?!

I run a MSD billet with mechanical advance, and am running 21 deg advance all in by 3500rpm with 9 deg initial...

I never could figure out those vacuum advance gizmos. My attitude is, we've ALL seen how well vacuum works for the headlight pots, nuts to that noise!!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott Yes Ford Distributors are adjustable.For me to tell you about yours depends on whether yours is org vac pot or replacement.The replacement generally uses a hex key inserted thru front vacuum port.Rule of thumb is 3 full turns out from bottoming of adjustment.If you have your dist # I may be able to tell you how many turns out.Your mechanical adv is also adjustable requiring new springs.If your vac unit is org or org style there are shims and a spring and a dampner inside.I have a 390 69 XR7 and I could look at mine after you tell me what kind you got and relay to you my findings.You can call me EVES PST at 250 477 8367 if you like and maybe we'll sort it out without the typewriter .Cheers Ray

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Logan, alarge amount of power and economy is packed into that little vac adv assembly.You may even experience a hesitation without it.The Ford shop manuals are very clear on how many degrees at which RPM for each engine.I agree this can be frustrating getting it correct but well worth it in the end.Course gas is a lot more expensive here.Ray

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Timing has always been one of those mysteries I haven't quite grasped yet. Right now, I'm using the MSD Billet mechanical adv only dist. It works well, and is extremely simple.

Simple is good. I like simple. Less stuff to break or leak when it's simple. :)

I understand your point though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ray I'm running a new replacement I spoke with the last owner of my car yesterday, and he said he had the same trouble. He ran it with the vacuum disconnected for 12 years and 20,000 miles. I still get 32 deg advance without it. He may have recurved the mechcanical side of it I didn't ask. I do know that the points have been removed and replaced with a Mallory unit.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Removing points and replacing w/electronics won't effect your timing curve.Sounds to me that your springs and/or weights and/or stops are your problem.They are located beneath breaker plate and not hard to change.Trick is finding correct replacements.I did purchase some from Ford and they come in bags of 5 or 10.Course you only need 1 primary and one secondary.I can supply for you if needed however I would get someone at a qulified repair shop to check calibration first.Don't let them talk you into a rebuilt distributor.This only means they know no more than you about distributer calibration.Many rebuilds are not set correctly.Speed shop or race guys probly best bet.The horrors of detonation is that the rings get crushed and then its an engine job and of course a bank job to pay for it Hope this helps

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems to run well right now I think I'll live with it. However real soon I see a MSD billet in my future. I run one of these on my 440 amd I like it very much, its easy to change the curve and it looks nice plus like Logan says its very simple.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I remember right it getting 31 total now but I'll have to recheck that to be sure. I think this is still a little to less it should be around 34-36 right??

L
0 Posts
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area not only do we have the highest real estate prices( about $500K for an average home) but also gas.....I am paying $1.97 - $2.03 for 92 premium.

regards Richard Brown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts