Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering what kind of mileage you guys got with your cats. i get anywhere between 9-12 miles/gallons. its killing me in the pockets, since i don't have a job its getting tight to pay for gas like every 2 to 3 days. i was wondering if thats just the average mileage for a 302 or if there was something i could do to up the mileage

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
for a 302?? hmm i get about that with my 69 351W... a heavier car.. what do you have?? A 2bbl?? 4bbl?? stock?? my car got better milage ( slightly but still better--- oh yeah and only when my foot is out of it ) after i got the 4bbl, headers and duals. i get around 9 city and ive almost hit 20 on the freeway with my foot totally out of it going a constant 65.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea 4bbl dual flowmaster cat back exhaust. and i've been told i have a lead foot :p: ;) so that may not help with the mileage :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow, touchy point. As you see, i own a 428CJ so in Europe fuel is Expensive. 1 dollar for a QUARTER gallon. Figure that out for a start. So i run about:eek2: 7.41 mile a gallon. Could you believe i don't drive my cat much...

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a little low, particularly if we are talking highway miles. But maybe not so bad with your driving habits that I'd be seriously worried that something was wrong.

Brand-spanking new, these cars got around 16 in the city. After 35 years, without a rebuild I'd expect 12-13.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I get about 13-16 in town and about 17-18 on the highway (75 mph). I just have a 289 with a 2v...dual exhaust. The c4 is pretty tight. I'm sure it'll go down considerably when I slap on the Edelbrock 4v:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I get about 8-9 (if I stay off of the pedal) with a 302, aggressive cam, DUI ignition, Weiland intake, Holley 600, headers, C4 shift kit and a 9" 3.73 rearend.

·
11,000 Posts
I got 19 MPG average on a trip from Dallas to San Francisco in my 68 XR7-G with 302-4V. The car is currently owned by Mark Eaton.

You should try driving in a normal, non - leadfoot manner if you are short on cash. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
You should try driving in a normal, non - leadfoot manner if you are short on cash. It makes a huge difference.
But ... But ... Royce.... What fun is that:1poke:

Don

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol i hear ya tex :) and when i'm driving, i'm usually out with friends who all have classic muscle cars like mustangs,firebirds,camaros, and a nova. so its kinda hard to not drive like that, one cause hten i wouldn't be able to keep up, and two like tex said, its boring :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Um, about 3-4 miles to the gallon. Holley 850 will do that to ya...hooha. Oh boy, I'm a jerk now. Don't ya hate when people do that? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
LOL...Think my city mileage is better than the highway....must be that 9" 4.11 tail gears.....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
ZT...

The 850 and that trailer house hauler engine of yours:D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
15 is the best I've been able to get combined city & highway. 22 is best straight 70mph interstate. No Pb ing at all, The car with fresh engine and tuned. I have 2.75 rear and 4 spd. This is 351W 4v.

The 2v 4v should make no differance in milage if you don't open the secondaries. Some 4v carbs have smaller venturi than 2v on the primary side and can get better milage. It's in your driving habits that effect milage more than most equipment.

The exception here is your gearing in rear- with 3.90 rear I couldnt get more than 10 mpg. The engine rpm just runs too high with high ratios but again they give greater acceleration.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I totally agree, however I am thinking back to all the comments we got when we wanted to get a 460, altho that was for the ranchero, not the cougar.:(

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I dont know ive never even tried to figure out what gas mileage i get in anything. tanks empty i fill it if i want to go somewhere i go, if i dont have enough for pizza and gas i get the gas course that hasnt happened for a long time now, just never worried about it. Course i grew up in a muscle car family and in flint michigan so gas mileage was synonomous with japaneese and family members out of work in the 70's so it was never a high priority. like my father used to say" what am i gonna stop driving?"

·
Registered
269 Posts
With a very very tired 390 IP, a C6, 2.75 rear, 750cfm Edelbrook carb and MSD ignition I get 10 - 12 miles per gallon. When the the engine was just "tired" I got about 15 mpg - mostly highway. A 302 should be able to do way better than 9 - 12 mpg.

I used to have a 63 Galaxie in Denmark where gas is something like $6/gallon and I found, that just about any FE combo I tried could be fine tuned to give 15 mpg at mixed highdriving. (Rear-end ratios kept at 3.25 or below, but the last 390GT was pretty radical).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My 302-2v ('68) with C4 and unknown rear gears got a best of 17 mpg (the entire tank was spent at exactly 65 mph). Typically around town (not much other than "around town" on Maui) I would get ~10 with lead and ~13-14 driving "lightly". I haven't driven much with all of my mods (see signature), but I'm also older and wiser and my foot is gentler... I got ~14-15 on a couple of average tanks (Premium in HI is over $2/gal normally, around $3 when there are "shortages" - I know it's not as bad as Europe, but wasn't happy back when I was in high school...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts