Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cougar has been sitting for two summers and not run much because I've been out of town alot. The last time I started it some 2-3 months ago, it was hard to start and then spewed out a ton of black smoke like it does when it's running rich and was running rough. I figured then that I really should pull the carb and give it a good cleaning and rebuild.

I did that last night and today. I reinstalled it this evening and it started right up. It ran fairly smooth though will need some refining. I could hear a pretty significant vacuum noise at the rear of the carb where I forgot to reinstall the right side valve cover hose. I put my finger over the hose tube and the motor stalled immediately. I restarted and then tried to attach the hose and she stalled again.

Any insight as to why that would happen?

Anyway, I started her again and did a couple of low RPM revs when all of the sudden, out of the other valve cover hose that attaches to a filter connector on the side of the air filter cover, this thin black fluid came gushing out.....naturally all over my freshly cleaned carburator and the intake manifold. It was almost watery and thin enough to mop up with a paper towel. When I sniffed it it had a distinct odor of gasoline. Obviously that's not normal.

If it's gas, how did it get there? Do I have a bad fuel pump?

Any insight or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Yup. The ONLY way to get a major gas/oil mix is a bad fuel pump. Only other option is unless carb is allowing clylinder wash-down (unlikely). Replace fuel pump with stock replacement pump and try again.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
A bad float in the carb will let gas get by too...As to the stalling problem, did you change any of the adjustments when you were making your changes? Idle screw, or air/fuel mixture screws? In your picture, it looks like a 72 Cougar that you are working on, is that right?
It is normal for a car to need some extra fuel to start if it has been sitting a while. Also, some extra soot from the tail pipe, is nothing unusual in this situation.

Do you know when the timing gear set was changed last?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yup. The ONLY way to get a major gas/oil mix is a bad fuel pump. Only other option is unless carb is allowing clylinder wash-down (unlikely). Replace fuel pump with stock replacement pump and try again.
AND, change the oil!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts