Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas gauge on my cat is off by 1/2, I can fill it up and it only shows 1/2. Could this be fixed or would I need to buy a new sending unit. The sending unit I have now has a low fuel light warning on it. I would like to keep that option working.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm pretty sure John's Classic Cougars will rebuild the original unit for you. Only drawback being you have to send it to them for a couple weeks.

Once removed, you can see if maybe you've just got a leaky float.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can always try the junkyard. Most places will give some kind of warranty. I got one for my previous cougar and it worked fine for the 5 years i had it.

just a thought.

·
Registered
364 Posts
on a similar note...

my guage works fine but the low fuel warning doesn't. the guy i bought it from said the repair is complicated (involves replacing a thingamajig in the gas tank) and more expensive than it's worth.

since i got it, i have found that the door ajar buzzer also doesn't work. it buzzes a split second occasionally and not all usually. does anyone know if these two (low fuel and door ajar) are electrically connected? could they both be suffering from one problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts