Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... it's in my garage. I parked my Cougar in the garage back in 2002, never imagining that it would sit neglected for 9 years and still counting. I didn't intend to put the car into storage (and I didn't do anything to prepare it for storage), but first a period of unemployment totally sidetracked me. Then there was some big health issues for one of our kids. Then a major home remodeling ... just one thing after another kept my attention away from the car. Every year that went by I knew getting it on the road again was going to be that much harder.

So, today I found out that the Cougar Nationals are going to be held about 6 miles from my home in NJ. Close enough that I can have AAA tow my car to the show if I have to! Let's hope I can drive the car there.

And that's about the extent of my expectations right now. There's lots of stuff I'd like to do with the car, but right now I know I'll be lucky to just get it back on the road by July.

I've got issues to deal with ... fuel system, brakes, tires, engine startup, etc. It's still too cold to start going too crazy, but I figure I can start on the fuel system without too much hassle. Step 1: empty the fuel tank, drain the motor oil. I can't remember for sure, but Murphy's law says I had close to a full tank in the car when I parked it.

Next step after that ... new gas tank and fuel lines. From reading other posts, looks like the '70 22 gallon tank is an option that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm psyched to get back on the road ... crossing my fingers I can finally get it done this year!

Rob Hamill
'68 XR7

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Rob, Hello. Go for it! Make a short list of the major needs and cross them off one-by-one as they are addressed... Enjoy the progress!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rob, Hello. Go for it! Make a short list of the major needs and cross them off one-by-one as they are addressed... Enjoy the progress!
This would be your most sensible approach to getting the car back on the road again. I would make several lists.... first list would be the basics of getting the car running again and the second list would be the items you would like to have done by July.

I have been restoring my 69 for 10 years now. Each year I make a list of what I would like to accomplish by year’s end. I've yet to complete a list within a year. Right now I'm still working on my list from 2010. If I'm lucky, I'll complete it by July. Then it will be on to my next list. The annual list makes the large project less overwhelming and keeps my interest.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your project goes.

Bryan

·
Registered
544 Posts
Rob

The last time I saw your car was at the 2001 Nationals. Between your car and mine I wasn't sure we would get there and back in our caravan. Maybe we can find Ed Swanson who got your car to start with a screwdriver in the unplugged wire a couple times when it wouldn't restart to help you get there this year. Hope to see you at the nationals this year.

Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Steve,
That trip to Williamsburg was one of the last times I even saw the car (it's been undercover for the most part ever since). I think it will take more than Ed Swanson's magic screwdriver to get it started this time!!

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts