Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody -

First off, it's my second post here, and I'm not really a car guy; my son is, so please forgive me if my "Cougarese" isn't up to speed. I'll improve, I promise. We bought a 68 Cougar that had been warehoused for 28 years as a project car. It's not running at all, but it seems to be complete. Lots of dust (hence my moniker on the board), but very little rust. My son is a Motor T marine, so I thought he'd be better at this!! - anyway, we've drained the fluids out of it and have tinkered with the radiator - we need a new one of those, but that looks like childs play compared to what we think we need to do next. Anyway, we tried to get the motor to turn over (not run, just turn over), using a battery, and it killed the battery almost instantly, but everything clicked for a minute and the lights came on. We bought a booster from sears and tried again, and nothing at all - so I think we've blown a fuse. Can somebody tell me where the fuse block is? I'd also be grateful for any advice anybody can offer on restoring a Cougar. It's a beautiful car, I don't want to do anything stupid and screw it up!! - Thanks.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The fuse box is under the dash all the way to the left on the drivers side, tucked way up in there. It sounds like, though, that hooking the battery up may have fried the resistor wire to the fuse box. There may be a big short somewhere, or the wire was just crusty and old.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts