Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have difficulty getting under the dash to read the fuse box. Does anyone have a layout of the fusebox? I am specifically looking for the headlight fuse? I got stuck under there on Saturday, luckily my son could pull me out!

Thanks,

RayJ
70 XR7:1zhelp:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Been there, done that, Saturday, luckily hubby pulled me out, I know the fuses have 'names' on the box, unscrew/bolt it and pull it out a bit, then with a contortion and a good flashlight, you should be able to see whats what.
Wonder if we can sue Ford for twisted backs :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
this is all i have, hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
If I remember right, The headights use a circut braker in the headlight switch. I looked this up in the 70 shop manaul and it states that ti it a 18 amp Circuit braker in the switch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the diagram, I don't see headlights listed. I replaced the switch, I don't recall seeing a breaker or fuse in it. Am I missing something?

RayJ

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Ray,
The Circuit braker is internal in the switch. If you replaced the switch and have no head lights then you may have another problem. Do you have a wireing diagram? Do the tail lights work, How about the turn signels and brake lights?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I replaced the switch, everything works great except the headlights. The tail lights, side markers, dash lights, and headlight doors all work great. I'm going to check to foot switch this weekend.

RayJ

·
Registered
614 Posts
oooh, I'd bet $1.50 that it's the high-beam dimmer switch. I know those things played havoc in the trucks...haven't had trouble with mine yet...cheap enough though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts