Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. guys...here's the deal. I've finally replaced the rusted out areas in my trunk on both sides of the tank with new metal. After alot of grinding and sanding I have a newly painted trunk area that is reasonably smooth and awaiting the new tank that I bought from Laurel Mountain mustang. Since it's a new tank should I worry about flushing it with some gas before I install it? Also, the kit came with a rubber O-ring to seal the new sending unit to the tank. However, the ring is more oval than round and won't keep its shape despite the groove for it in the tank when I tried test fitting the sending unit last night. I thought about using a bit of silicone or vaseline to hold it in place while I put things together, but then had second thoughts about it. I don't want something to appear O.K. now and then cause the seal to break a month down the road when I'm driving the cat. Any opinions out there? Am I just looking too hard at this?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Id install the sender with the tank out of the car standing up (hole at the top). I use a little grease or vaseline to hold the seal in place. Neither should hurt it since it is made to seal gasoline! I wouldnt worry about flushing it, if there is any type of small dirt the filter will catch it before it gets to the carb.
I would seal the tank to floor seam also to keep water out..

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
ZHAT
like scott said, when you install the tank use 3m black calking strips. They come in a blue box w wax paper wrapping them up, they work great.I doubled up the strips when i installed my new fuel tank in my 70 once you tighten it down it`ll create a nice tight bond and will keep water out from comming thru the trunk around the fuel tank.If you notice there is a overlap a little between the 2 pieces.I take a little gasket maker and run some all around the edges that way its sealed tight but when your done just run a wet finger and smooth it out and you wont even notice a bead is even there.Iseen alot of gas tanks rust bad between the 2 like that and when you pour gas in it leaks out so its a somewhat insurance way to keep it nice and tight..
thanks
pat

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys! I just wanted to make sure that I do this right the first time...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
zhat, as long as you put the calking down and the o gring setup like scott said yer in ther clear
thanks
pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts