Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the tank out and found that is absolutlly filthy inside.
I drained about 7 gals. of red varnish out of it.
I was thinking of pouring a bunch of lug-nuts and some gas in to it and giving it a real good shakin.
Has anyone gone thru this?. any suggestions?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Done it before with marbles and a motor cycle tank. It will knock out most of the rust, but if the wall is to thin. You will have a holes in the tank to fix. You also should line the inside of the tank to prevent future rusting. I think there is something called KREEM or CREEM something like that. Not sure on the price. Ebay has a tank setup for right at $100.oo bones. I say give it a try but be prepared to buy a new tank if it gets tideous filling holes..Try to save the original and as a last resort buy repro.....These are just my thoughts....Lance

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Parts cleaner solvent worked pretty good for me in cleaning a varnished tractor gas tank. mm

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill try the varsol and a bunch of lug nuts and stuff Autocrafters has some product i may try for sealing the inside.
I hope it is not too rusted inside, the outside looks brand new.
The sending unit is very dirty too (pic). I wonder how long this car sat. At least it sat in arizona.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no doubt about it. this one is post toast. it is a fossill.
A new tank sounds like less work too.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah, after looking at that picture a new tank looks like it maybe the hot ticket. I just figure a new fuel line maybe in order too. mm

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A loacal farmer told me about this place in waller tx. that repairs gas tanks. he has used them for old tracktor fuel tanks that were way worse than mine. I am checking in to this monday.

http://www.donhart.com/dh4.htm

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called that tank renu place and the guy told me it would be about 300 bucks. I told him "I heard it was cheaper than buying a new one even the ad say that" and he said "it's cheaper than a new one if you cant find a new one". with logic like that, i just hung up the phone.
so it's cheaper than things that dont exist.
So i am doing it myself, as usual. I used xylene to react with the sludge, turning it into hard tar balls. now the clean up is a breeze.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Really, it's amazing how many company's get away with doing business like that. They should be closed :D and bad PR giving about them.

Go ahead and do it yourself, this way you know it was done right, Im just not sure on the sending unit, it looks real scarey. Happy cleaning.

Rick

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that sending unit is one solid piece, totally pluged w/ old rusty sludge. i clipped off the pick up and assy. and i am using it to plug the hole while cleaning. it is pretty clean already. a few more hours of labor and it should be ready to line. i want to make sure it is prepped very well first.
New sending unit and fuel line if it wont flush clean and pass a hydro test. That tank renu place does good work but is only worth it if you have a Duesenburg or old Packard.
(mmmmmmmmmmmm old packards).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts