653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for my 68 what are the options for the fuel tank? The ones I know of are
:stock tank
:Stock tank with sump added
:universal fuel cell adapted
:Fuel safe brand bolt in cell
:Ricks rod shop bolt in SS tank

I like the last two but at 1200+ it hurts a little too much any other company make a bolt in cell for less coin?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I like the stock tank with the sump added personally. Just need to make sure you use a gas tank sealer after welding since the galvanized coating will be gone in that area. Someome also makes a sending unit with a 1/2" line in it for that stock look but extra flow.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I was thinking somebody said you could go to a 70 tank on a 68..? IDK But, I sumped my stock tank out quite a few years ago when we ran a high winding motor in it. Are you wanting to street this primarily? If not, then I would go cell....otherwise, yeah - I'd sump it and get the biggest tank you can squeeze in.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i put the 20 gal in our 67 gt---bolts in---use 70 sender and p/u---cut and shorten the tube that bolts to the rear panel so the filler hose lines up----the top of the tank will be the same height as the side panels behind the wheel wells toward the rear of the car---we cut a piece of multi ply baltic birch drawer stock (plywood) to flatten out the trunk floor---insulate the top of the tank with dyna mat and fill the caverns next to the tank with bubble wrap type insulation befor installing the tank
doctordesoto

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to use the Tanks inc fuel sending unit to run a 255 in tank pump. I am going to order the 20gal tank tomorrow. I am doing the power tour in the car and with the 11-12:1 393 I need the bigger tank to extend range lol... sigh

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I assume your running 9", so why not throw in a super streetable gearset for the run? Should be just about free to pick up a 2.73 set - heck you might even pass up a gas station then!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am running a 390 set and with my tko and 17 in wheels will allow a fairly low rev at 70 but with a carb and bigger ci and compression it still is no gas sipper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts