Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
351C 4V won't start cold even with manual adjustment of choke. Is this a possible fuel pump or carb problem? Once I put some gas in the carb car starts right up. :smoke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Before you try to start it do you see any fuel squirt when you hit the throttle? If not you may need to rebuild the carb (at least replace accel pump) if the accel pump isn't giving you a shot of gas. If the car stays running I think you can rule out the fuel pump - but check/smell your oil for fuel just in case.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes the car stays running once it gets started so I will move towards carb troubleshooting. I don't see or smells gas when the throttle is depressed. Its been a long time since Ive lifted the hood on a cat and i'm trying to get my bearings straight again lol But it is a great feeling!

·
Registered
992 Posts
If it's been sitting for a period of time since it last ran (if it's not a daily driver) then I'd say that it's just the fuel draining back out of the fuel bowl from sitting. Whenever I start my running parts car (rarely, once every couple months) I always spray starting fluid down the carb and start it. It runs a few seconds on that, then dies, so I repeat the process until the car stays running, which means the fuel pump has caught up and refilled the fuel bowl appropriately. This avoids damaging cranking and cranking.

Now if this happens overnight, then you might want to troubleshoot further, as I wouldn't want to do my once in a while restart process every morning!

Kevin

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:smoke::smoke:Yep, in the process of the rebuild. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Although I am on my 2nd order of the rebuild kit from the local parts store, first one had the wrong gaskets.Well at least waiting on the order to be filled I have had time to wax and detail the vert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts