Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the fuel pumps on the 70's those that can be taken apart and cleaned, or do they have to be replaced? Cleaned up the carb, replaced the pipe that broke off, car goes alot better, but now there is fuel pouring out the pump, well, dripping out, fast, go figure, fix one thing, next thing packs up.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO, don't say that, I can't afford any more parts, or imports, can I replace it with a local ford one?
PS. Say Yes.:)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Actually, you should be able to replace it with another one... I know the 302 and 351W are the same, not sure about the Cleavland..

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you're not worried about originality you can replace it with a universal electric in-line pump. Bypass the old leaker but leave it on to close the block (unless you have a block off plate).

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Where I live, who cares about originality:D, I have a Ford Saphire p/s pump, no hassles to put on a universal petrol pump. Finances call for modifications at the moment.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay went to the auto parts place, they sold me an inline electric pump for the equivalent of $33, got to the car and opened it, said it was for a car up to 2.5litres, so back into shop, small freak out, nope don't stock big pumps, will have to order from up country.
Anyway we may have dislodged the hose from the pump to the carb by accident when we cut a bit off on the carb side as it was split, so will check that out. On the same note, tried to start the Ranchero this morning, she only ran when petrol was poured in the carb, anyway checked out the fuel line, inline filter had split in half, must have wasted quite a few litres of petrol. I am tempted to replace everything to do with fuel lines on it, including the hose, I believe all hoses should be replaced about every 3 years or so.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you didn't mess with the pump I can't see why it would start leaking. I'd look real close at the hose connection. Good luck!

Wayne

·
Registered
614 Posts
If the pump is definitely at fault, and not a leaking hose, use a stock replacement. Sorry Rktman, I don't agree with the electric pump theory. At least, not on a daily driver where reliability is key. Now, before you electric pump fans jump on me, keep this in mind - Dayle has about 50 cars to drive, and limited parts availability. A stock replacement pump should give them no more trouble while they own the car. No wiring to fiddle with (those generic inline pumps are notoriously cheap anyway). A mechanical replacement is a simple in-and-out repair.

It's worth the wait to get the mechanical pump, in my opinion. Mine was an electric pump when I got it, failed after one pass at the track. Noisy as hell, erratic at best. Fuel pressure gauge doesn't lie.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I agree ZT, I have had both and now have only mechanical on mine. I suggested the electric as an option since Dayle has difficulty finding V8 parts and they seem to want her first born for them.
If a mechanical is available I would definitely go with that if possible. Guess I should have stuck that on the end. :)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, Stephen would also prefer a mechanical one, going to phone the place tomorrow and check out prices, for interest's sake, will check the hose before we buy one, but will be interesting to see what they ask for one, of course we could always see what we have on one of our 50:) cars, one of them that does not go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts