Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions on this guys.I've got a 390 in my 69 and I'm on my 4th fuel pump,they go south after a couple of weeks.Royce has recommended a rebuildable Carter that he uses on all his cars.I also have a Carter electric pump that was exchanged for the Holley pump that went south.My question is should I go with the mechanical unit or just say the heck with it and go electric?I try to keep things as stock as possible but changing fuel pumps every couple of weeks is getting old quickly.Let me hear what you think.

Thanks

Terry

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Anyone that knows me here knows that I could care less about stock. I've been running electric pumps for years. It was first out of necessity because my motor does not have a provision for a mechanical pump. But, then I came to like them. I like the fact that you kind of get a warning that it's about to go out on you by the difference in the sound it makes. I also like the "instant prime" feature if you happen to run out of gas... (another experience for another time). Although I have yet to find one that has lasted for a long, long time. I just change them the first time they start making strange noises, which is about every 4 or 5 years. So I guess that's both the good and the bad that I've found.

Probably doesn't help much but just my thoughts...

Mark

·
Registered
614 Posts
Have you figured out why the mechanical pumps keep dying? Have you been using Holley pumps all along, or a few different brands? I've seen mechanical pumps last a long time...it just seems wierd that they keep crapping out on you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first pump was the stock one,the second one was an aftermarket replacement,then I went with the holley,it lasted 8 months.I haven't had any luck tracking down what causes them to fail.a mechanic suggested I pull the timing cover off and look at the eccentric to see if it's off location,maybe I put the dowel in to deep and it's moved?

Terry

·
Registered
614 Posts
Could be, man. At this point I would probably pull the timing cover just for a general inspection. You're on pump number 4, after all. Aren't diagnostics fun??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts