Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll start by saying I'm new to these cars. I got my grandfathers old '78 351W up and running this weekend after sitting for 6+ years. I changed the air filter, fuel filter, brake and steering fluid, oil & filter, plugs, battery and gas...

the only problem I am noticing now is that the fuel pump is slowly spitting fuel out the top-back side of it. It starts spitting about 20-30 seconds after firing it up. Is it completely shot?? or can it be repaired or cleaned

I tried gettin up underneath to take it out and examine but for the life of me, I could Not get my hands/wrench up in there to take out the 2 bolts to pull it out. I pulled the lines off and pulled the oil filter out... still couldnt get enough wiggle room. Any suggesions??? or just have it taken to a shop

~DK

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I don't know the lay out of the 78 components but usually the power steering pump is above where the fuel pump is. Unbolt the steering pump to gain enough room to come at the fuel pump from the top side. New mechanical fuel pumps are relatively cheap. If yours is not cheap consider putting in an inline electric fuel pump , and installing a block off plate for the existing location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give that a shot, I'm hoping I can get this done cuz I want to get the car back on the road. its been cooped up in a garage for many years

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^^ Correct, they are cheap. Yours might be a pita to get out, but it's doable with fairly basic tools. You will have to remove the PS pump and bracket I think. May as well put new belts on while your at it. You won't have to remove any hoses just lay it out of the way. The one tool you may need that isn't "standard" would be a flare wrench so you can remove the flare nut on hte fuel line without warping/damaging it. It can be done 80%of the time with a regular wrench but you are better off not risking it as they are kind of soft and sometimes pretty crusted in there.

(Besides buying the flare wrenches is cheaper than taking it to a shop and then you have the correct tool to bleed brake lines with if you ever need to.....)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The majority of them are sealed and not rebuildable anyway, replacement is the only option. Of course there are exceptions such as the Carter pumps found for example on the Boss 302, 428CJ, 429CJ and Boss 429. So, if it looks like this one from Scott Hollenbeck's 428 site, don't throw it away without some research.

Carter X Pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts