Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Edelbrock 1406 manual says the "late model" Ford 302 stock configuration can put over 6psi out of the pump, which is too much for the carb to be happy with. In the interest of not ever running into problems, I picked up a fuel pressure regulator that ranges from 1 to 5.5psi, which I set to 5.5psi but haven't installed yet. If I remember right, excessive fuel pressure can result in stalls during turns or hard stops. Since I've had one stall during a hard stop, I figured it can't hurt to throw a regulator in there.

What exactly qualifies as "late model" anyway?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The Edelbrock 1406 manual says the "late model" Ford 302 stock configuration can put over 6psi out of the pump, which is too much for the carb to be happy with. In the interest of not ever running into problems, I picked up a fuel pressure regulator that ranges from 1 to 5.5psi, which I set to 5.5psi but haven't installed yet. If I remember right, excessive fuel pressure can result in stalls during turns or hard stops. Since I've had one stall during a hard stop, I figured it can't hurt to throw a regulator in there.

What exactly qualifies as "late model" anyway?
1985 up, most with electric pumps

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
4-5 PSI is for carbs - anything higher is usually for fuel injected cars. You can plumb in a pressure regulator if needed. Most late model stuff is injected.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The shop manual for the '68 Cougar indicates that the spec for the fuel pump is a static pressure at 500rpm of 4.5-6.5 psi. Since the manual for my Edelbrock 1406 says it doesn't wanna see 6 or more, that 5.5 is good, I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator is maybe a good idea.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my combination of a stock fuel pump and Edelbrock 1406 carb.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my combination of a stock fuel pump and Edelbrock 1406 carb.
Logic would say this (and I agree).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts