Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a drop in fuel pressure make the engine run rough ? I think I'm getting enough fuel just by looking at the fuel filter before my carb. The timing is on ticket, but it started doing it today on the way back from home from my shop. Vacuum gauge reads 17 and all the hoses are in tact.

When I press the accelerator, it bogs, then shoots off...Carb problem i first assumed, but then maybe the fuel pump....As for the shop who did the carb rebuild, I dont think it was rebuilt properly, the choke sticks open..

·
Registered
913 Posts
That sounds more like a carb problem than fuel.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like carb problems most likely then...choke shoul be closed when cold first off, otherwise it will bog until it's warm enough to need that much air coming in.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx guys..i adjusted the carb and voila...I wonder what made it start going haywire...vibration maybe? Holley's been giving me hell having to constantly readjust..

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey guys i have a 68 xr7 with a 302 just replaced the plugs and adjusted the valves, my problems are its bogging down and running rough, timing is on and it back fired through the carb and shut off i replaced the power valve in my carb but still running rough any ideas would greatly be appriciated

·
11,000 Posts
Sounds like the timing is way retarded.

Answer these two questions and you will know what is wrong:

1. What is the timing at idle, 2500 RPM, and 3500 RPM?
2. Does the vacuum advance unit actually work?

hey guys i have a 68 xr7 with a 302 just replaced the plugs and adjusted the valves, my problems are its bogging down and running rough, timing is on and it back fired through the carb and shut off i replaced the power valve in my carb but still running rough any ideas would greatly be appriciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts