Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 68 cat with a HO 302 out of a 'stang. The car runs pretty rich, lots of smoke in the air. I was wonderin' what size of fuel line should I have on the car? I changed the line this summer and just replaced it with 3/8, which was what came on the car. I've got a 600 holley on it, and have no idea how to tune it. Probably won't start it up soon either, the car is in a barn 1 hour away, and it's been minus 25 degree celcius. (That's really cold in farenheit) Is this something I can jet the carb for? fuel regulator? Different size line? Thanks fellas.
Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I should clarify I replaced the line from the fuel tank forward.:) The line was all steel except for the rubber hose going to the tank.

·
Registered
614 Posts
3/8" line is fine for what you've got. You're not running a 514 stroker motor on the dragstrip. As far as tuning, I'd start with the air/fuel mixture screws. That's those tiny screws on either side of your front fuel bowl (they're really small flathead screws). For tuning them, it's different with each person you ask. I've always been told (with the motor not running) turn them all the way in, then turn them out 1 1/2. The motor should start, but won't run great. Now, adjust them in or out slowly, you'll hear the motor getting ready to die when you go too far one way or the other. I'm not sure if there's a "proper" side to start on, but I've done okay with this method. First one side, then the other.

If any of you guys have a better method, or I'm giving out bad info, please share your knowledge (cringe).

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I use a vacuum gage and set the mixrure screws until i obtaine the highest steady reading. a unsteady needle could indicate the need for a valve job. it will all be in the instruction sheet.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was gonna put something in about the vacuum gauge, but didn't want to confuse myself or Handsome. Thanks Bowl.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Zero and Bowl. I just bought a vacuum gauge,..... so I guess I'll let the confusion begin. (Once it warms up outside!!)

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I would think you would want to make your adjustments when the engine is warmed up since that's when you'll be using it.

I use the vacuum gauge route too with great success.

Mark

·
Registered
885 Posts
Handsome,

What flavor vacuum gage did you acquire?

Thanks,

Steve C.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey there 70xr7cat, I just bought a cheaper gauge at my local Canadian Tire. I believe it was an Equus brand. As Bowl stated it did come with all the directions for multiple tests. It's cold out here though (-20F) so I can let you know how it works come spring thaw!
Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts