Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just recently bought a 1970 cougar standard hardtop. it's a project i've been working on for only a few weeks, but things are coming along nicely. i'm fairly new to classic cars though, and the fuel gauge isn't working, so i was just wondering what could be causing this? i'm not looking for a specific diagnosis, just some possible sources/ideas. thanks!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Check the sending unit in the gas tank, and the brass float , also could be a wiring short or bad ground wire, or a bad gauge. Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Are your other gauges working? Assume yes. If yes, this means the instrument voltage regulator is working and the problem is likely in thw connection to the sender, the wiring to the sender or the sender itself. What you can do is disconnect the wiring connector from the sender (Do you have an XR7? There are two pins in those connector/senders) and ground the connector to the body. If the gas gauge goes to full tank, then the problem lies with the sender. IF the gauge does nothing, the problem is with something forward of the sender, wiring, gauge, etc... (generally in that order).

Hope this helps.

Also, we like to know where people are from, put your location in your profile if you would and introduce yourself. Again, welcome, great forum and great members here.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Bob,

I think he might be in Northern Virginia based on his name, kinda like that guy in Cedar Rapids.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
excellent, thanks a lot guys.

bob, i am indeed from northern virginia, right outside of D.C.
Umm, yeah, guess I should have known that (DUH!!!). LOL. Well anyway, yeah, great members, but some are not so bright :buck: Hope the advice helps you get to the bottom of the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the same problem initially with my 73 XR7 that I purchaced in NC. Went the whole route thinking it was something electrical (wiring, etc...) or bad gauge, drove me nuts. Finally, last resort... drained the tank and popped the sending unit thinking I'd just replace it, then foundout ordering another with the 'low fuel' option was less than nil. Result was...... the brass float bulb was filled with fuel due to a small seam crack and nothing was wrong with the sending unit. Fix was... replacement of the float bulb and drainage of about 1/2 tank of gas that I didn't know I had. :) Btw, when you drain the tank - do it outside and have gas storage equal to the size of your tank just to be safe.

·
Registered
650 Posts
excellent, thanks a lot guys.

bob, i am indeed from northern virginia, right outside of D.C.
What part of VA? I am in Ashburn, don't know a lot about 70's but my 68 had issues with the guages. The previous owner hacked the harness to pieces, I bought a used one from WCCC and found out that all of my guages did work.

Welcome to the Forum, lots of great advice.

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What part of VA? I am in Ashburn, don't know a lot about 70's but my 68 had issues with the guages. The previous owner hacked the harness to pieces, I bought a used one from WCCC and found out that all of my guages did work.

Welcome to the Forum, lots of great advice.

Paul
oh ashburn? i'm right over in Herndon, the guy i bought my Cougar from was right out in Leesburg.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do you go to the "Cruise In" at Chick -Fil-A at the Dulles Town Center on Friday nights (Spring to Fall)? I hope to be able to take my car this Spring, if my kids don't have practice on Friday nights. I have seen 3 other Cougars in Ashburn/Sterling area, (the owner in Sterling was a big help to me) and with yours, we now have 5. Hopefully, we can meet up after the weather changes.

Paul

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Back to the original topic-- My wife's 21k original-mile '70 Mach 1's gas gauge quit working. Long story short, the gas gauge grounds through the sending unit/pickup retaining ring. Over the 35+ years, hers was rusty (damned Rustbelt - even for a car that isn't driven in winter!). I put a new sending unit retaining ring on and all is right with the world...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts