Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so i adjusted the timing a bit by ear today and it sounded somewhat better, a little smoother and acceleration was less hesitant. then i decided to let her idle for a while in the driveway, and within about 10 minutes she died. i got her started back up again, and she died again almost immediately. this happened a couple more times. then i noticed that the fuel seemed to be draining backwards, into the tank?? there's a secondary filter on the fuel line, and it's clear so i can see the gas, and i just saw it slowly disappear away until the secondary filter was almost empty. i have no idea what in the world is going on, does anyone else? thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
There is a pinhole leak in one of the fuel lines. I found out the hard way on my F250. It was running like crap and I couldn't track it down. I had even replaced all the fuel lines so it wasn't on my list of possibilities.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If you have a non-vented cap on a vented system that can happen. Remove the cap and see if your problem goes away.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - sounds like you have a vacuum pulling it back in. If Don's suggestion works you can either drill your own breather hole in it or get a new correct cap. If it's a pinhole in one of the lines see if you can find any evidence or wet areas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright i'll check out the lines, thanks guys. the car is a california car and so is designed to run with a non-vented cap, which is what it has now, so i don't think that's the problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts