Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Fuel door!

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  70 Cougar 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That's quite a chunk of change for basically nothing more than a lense (that will need polishing). The trim and crest are toast, maybe the box is okay.

#3 ·
Well, I agree it isn't "cheap", but.....The lens looks pretty good, and that's the hard part to get, in the right color. There are still no reproduction's, right? The ones that I had were "good enough" For me, but if I really wanted a better one, this looks like a 'it's better than nothing' deal...

#5 ·
For a second there I thought about pulling the trigger, then I got a case of Bob-itis as well.....good ones are hard to get and they do bring the bucks. $90 for a repop ain't chicken feed either....I also passed on a real nice fuel door assy w/tail lights last month for $275 - it was the second go around and it sold ( I was hoping to get it with best offer...) I'll keep holding out - time is on my side at the moment

#6 ·
What is the right price for a complete reproduction part? We looked at doing the entire assembly except the backing plate and it came in around $275 retail. I thought it was way too high. I'm thinking $200 would be pretty good...

#8 ·
What is the right price for a complete reproduction part? We looked at doing the entire assembly except the backing plate and it came in around $275 retail. I thought it was way too high. I'm thinking $200 would be pretty good...
I do not think that $275 is too out of line for all the pieces. Of course in this economy $200 would be an easier sell but I think people will see the value at $275.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

#7 ·
Think I paid around $125? for a NOS lense and then something like $70 each for rechroming the trim pieces. Got the backing plate replated. The crest restored for something like $90. So Bill, I dunno, $275 for a nice complete assembly doesn't seem that expensive when you add up all the pieces to do it "fairly right".

#9 ·
I was under the impression that the Auto Krafters one was out of stock and production...

#10 ·
Don at WCCC is getting ready to sell his repop...should be spot on.

#12 ·
Auto Krafters is currently out of stock but I emailed them last month and they said about mid September they should have a new order in. I'm looking to pull the trigger on one asap as the rest of my fuel door pieces are almost ready to re-assemble.

Any idea when Don might have his on the market? What's the bad about the Auto Krafters fuel door that's not spot on?

#16 ·
What's the bad about the Auto Krafters fuel door that's not spot on?
The color of the lens isn't remotely close to the original. When using original taillight lens and a repro fuel door lens, you can clearly tell that they are not the same color.

Used originals are available and would by my choice over a reproduction.

#14 ·
I had heard that the color wasn't exactly right on the reproduction lenses..

#15 ·
#17 ·
K thanks for heads up Jeff. I won't waste money on the Auto Krafters repro then. I will try wet sanding and cut polishing my original lens in hopes to remove the surface scratches for now and wait around for a closer match repro to come out on the market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.