Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal....

I'm changing the manifold and carb and need to know what my options are for the fuel line from the pump to the carb.
I have a fuel line kit to go with the Edelbrock carb, complete with RUSSELL fuel filter. For now I'm going to keep the stock fuel pump on the car. I started to look through the Summit and Jeg's catalogs so now I'm lost. Between all the sizes (npt, AN, Flared ends, inverted flare, 1/4",3/8", 1/2", barb end, male, female, etc...) I don't know if i should cry or wind my watch!!
What I know is the end on the fuel filter is 3/8" male.

My car is a 1967 xr-7 289 2v.

Thanks,

Jim

·
11,000 Posts
The pump to carb line needs to be either metal hard line or braided stainless for safety reasons. There is lots of heat in the area from the fuel pump up to the top of the engine. A long piece of rubber hose will sooner or later get hard or chafed and cause the destruction of your vehicle when the pressurized fuel sprinkler is turned on. You don't want that.

I recommend a stock replacement line from one of the Cougar vendors. It will be 5/16" diameter but the barbed end will allow you to use a short piece of 3/8" rubber successfully with a hose clamp. That will provide plenty of fuel for a 289.

·
Contributing Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royce,
I have a new s/s hard line. the problem is it's not going to line up with the fuel filter. the stock hard line ends more to the middle of the manifold and the new Edelbrock carburetor is much wider than the old carburetor. The other problem is the connection at the fuel filter.How do I connect a 3/8" rubber hose to a 3/8"male threaded end? I think Russell makes a female 3/8" end with a barbed on the other end...will this work? I will still have the issue of the hard line not lining up with the fuel filter????

Jim
Jim

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You should be able to "Tweak" (bend :D) the metal line to get it to line up close. Take the fittings that dont match up (or if you know in your head what you need just take yourself!) to a GOOD parts store and they should have other fittings to adapt to what you need.
Scott

·
11,000 Posts
Home Depot and Lowe's usually have a nice selection of fittings too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts