Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to run stainless steal braided fuel line, in my cougar, wondering what fittings to us at the fuel pump and tank, everything is stock.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
OEM pump has a 5/16" inverted flare (for 5/16" steel flared tubing). Aftermarket hi-performance pumps are tapped either 1/4" or 3/8" NPT

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Remember, even braided steel line is only rubber line under the outer skin, and it must be replaced every couple of years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know they must be replaced, I got a good deal on 20 ft of the stuff, I just wanted to know if anyone else had done something like this and knew what fittings they used

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Most that run the stuff have done other upgrades as well. Also, they don't use the flex line for the entire length of the car. Mine only has the braided stuff from the sump to the filter, then to the pump, which are both near the tank. Then I am running 1/2" hard line up to the engine bay, then back to braided to go to the carb.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You can get an adapter for the fuel pump fitting so you can connect A/N fittings to it.

I ran stainless braided hose from my filter to the inlet on my Edelbrock carb using A/N fittings.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A performance setup will typically run a -6 setup (except extreme cases). This is the eqivilant of a 3/8" fuel line. Most stock setups use a 5/16" fuel line (some 11/32) - which is a -5 AN.

Since you aleady have the line measure the inner diameter of the hose. If it is 5/16" go with -5 AN fittings, if 3/8" use -6 AN fittings. (either is ok in your setup),
Not sure which pump you are using; as c7xr7 points out the stock pump has a 5/16" hard line. Unless you inner dia is 5/16" you will need to change something out. I put on a Summit mechanical and bought 3/8" pipe to -6AN fittings. If your pump already has pipe threads, just buy the corresponding fitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts