Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel Sending Unit

My fuel gauge quit working. I've been reading some old posts about 3 prong sending units for a 1969 XR-7. Will the ones work without the Low Fuel warning light? I'd like Low Fuel Warning Light to work, but can't sent it in to be restored. Anybody have the "right one" as a core exchange?

BTW I had the tank replaced and it worked OK for a while, but never was very accurate! They did test the wiring lead from the dash and it was good.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Tim, the standard one will work. The one in my 67 quit and I could not find a replacement w/low fuel. So I had to use the standard... Good luck...

Bruce

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My low fuel light was disconnected from the factory or dealer. I heard that it was driving people nuts with that light comming on with a 1/4 tank every time they turned a corner. I got the sending unit with two connectors anyway, could not find one w/ three so I gave it up, my original one is a fossile. too far gone to rebuild.

My nieghbor (An Aggie) thinks it should be a low fuel kill switch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tim,
John's Classic Cougars restored/rebuilt my 1969 XR7 low fuel sending unit. When I got it back, it looked like it had just come from the parts shelf. I used a standard fuel sending unit, without benefit of knowing the precise level, until the unit was returned.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gunner, thats good news about John's. I was fortunate (but not financially) to find a N.O.S. unit and replace mine. Due to the scarcity of these units I was thinking about sending my old one to John's for repair just to have another one in existence. I think he's advertising this repair for $95. This would be cheaper than buying the NOS part that I found.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was impressed with how it looked and operated. It had 30+ years of grunge on it and looked pristine upon return. They replaced the float, wiring, thermistor, and filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts