Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here it is...went to set the timing on my 351/C and the shaft wont budge...tried soaking with WD/40...big channel locks...and some hits with a "BFH" and NOTHING !!.....any suggestions as to loosening up the distributor...????....any suggestions will be appreciated....thanks

gary

·
Registered
175 Posts
How long did you let it soak? From experience (not a dist.), it could take a good 12 to 24 hour soak to loosen up. You might consider heating it a bit with a propane torch too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soaked for at least a day or two.....just asked someone locally here and said something about adding transmission fluid to the block and running the car to heat the temperature up and then try loosening..??? this is one stuborn deal here...for the up-side...at least she runs and is advanced to about 12 degrees from the 6 or 8 that it is suppose to be....thanks for your reply

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Dist lockup

Hi Kat...

Wow does this sound familiar. My factory virgin 351C, dual-diagphragm, no less, distributor was totally locked up on me. No WD-40 or anything would loosen it up either. Here's what finally worked: Take a 2 lb sledgehammer and begin bashing. By the time you're done you'll have releived a few frustrations. You'll then be ready to spend the money on a decent distributor such as a Unilite or the likes and you'll never look back.

Enjoy,
Bill

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Better not snicker at what Bill says! I got one been soaking in the garage for months now. It still wont budge. If there that stuck the only way to "save" it is to remove the oil pan and drive it out from the bottom.

May I suggest some antisieze on it when you replace it. mm

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHAT A NIGHTMARE....OIL PAN REMOVAL...

well I really dont relish the idea of the bottom pan removal......yes...if i ever get it loose and turning....i will opt for the anti-sieze......as for right now....a little time with it as the days of our lives goes....eventually i hope.....at least i can run the car for now without embarassment....the glass packs still sound good on the factory(virgin)351/C w/2bl ......duals also....just so much to do and so little time......gas guage(not reading right),,,,coil springs sagging.....leaf springs (both on driver side)....hood alignment(one side higher than other).....rear marker lights blink when turn signals are on.....vaccum leak for the headlight doors....BUT....i REALY really love my cougar...which is the second one i have own ...first being a 67 calif model xr7 back in the early 80's...and now a 70 standard(which pics are posted).....BUT....i am just a old classic car lover...and for some reason....i really love the later 60's and early 70's era....enough rambling on about cars.....cant wait to get the front end and suspension right for that great ride and cruise down the road(really- i mean to play the 351/C alittle)....a cat needs to be independent and prowling out and about.....but of course with my wife....god bless her...for putting up with me......well back to the soaking of the distributor shaft....whoa is me....! ! !

gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts