Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i pulled off my thermostat housing, and to my pleasure one of the bolt heads snapped off. So it was pretty gay, and i tried filing it down for better grip, but it snapped again. So i tried a crapload of liquid wrench, heat, and an easy out, but no success and it broke the easy out. Now since i got the 351w, with stock 2bbl, it'd be nice to upgrade it, but that costs a pretty penny. So would it be better to get my manifold machined to pull that bolt out and refinish it while they're at it, or look for a new or used one?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
IAN,
in the case you got i say look for another used one if you can get yourself one. Or lok on ebay but make sure you use some antiseize lubricant on the threads before you reapply the thermostat housing.I had the same exact problem w/ a alternator bolt(the one that goes thru the top into the little spacer into the block) it snapped right at the head i tried extractors drilling and nothing so i had to do something and i ended up reversing the heads and was ok n bought a new bolt n put the lubricant on the threads so this dilema doesnt happen again..
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
thats a tough call. If you want to get a new intake, that would be a 4 barrel right, then you woud need a 4 barrel carb, and modify the linkage abit I bet. All that ads up, so find a used 2 barrel intake to get you by if its cheaper then getting a shop to remove the broken bolt.

Rick

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I dont know about intakes, but when all else failed, we used to blow broken exhasut manifold bolts out of FE heads with a gas axe (cutting torch). they melt right out. the bolt metal is so much softer than the heads metal. then we would clean out the hole and chase the treads with a tap.

The reverse direction drill bits have worked for me too.

But the square ez out is still my first choice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help, i'll see if i can find a temporary replacement

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did the bolt snap off flush with the intake, or is there a little bit still sticking out of the manifold? Do you have access to a welder? If so, you can tack-weld a nut to the remainder of the bolt...should help in getting it out. I didn't believe this trick until I did it at U-Haul...gets them broken exhaust manifold studs right out! Works in a bunch of other cases, too...just a thought. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No such luck

Pretty good idea but the first time it broke i tried filing it down so i could get a hold of it, and it actually started to move, but then it snapped flush with the manifold all the sudden. So i was like ****, then my dad suggested we try and easy out, but once again the bolt had no problem in breaking that, and keeping the tip, also sunk in flush. So right now it looks like i'm going to have to take the manifold to a machine shop, or find a used replacement. Preferably a used manifold. But thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Easy outs suck, they are to hard of steel, and hard equals brittle. And when you finally do break one, it's a biznich to drill out because it is such a hard material.
If you could drill the whole thing out you could put a heli-coil in it.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
machine shop

Most competent machine shops now use an electical method of removing the bolt. I can't remember the name of the system but it costs around $15 bucks for a bolt removal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts