Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help figering out why my right front tire rubs when i turn. i have 205/75/14 on the front of my 69 couger, its only on the passenger side that rubs the car hasnt been wrecked and the fenders look like they are on preety good im wondering if there is an adjustment on the control arms to pull it back some its rubbing on the front of the fender . any help would be great. :1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just out of curiosity, does the wheel match all of the others?? maybe you got one thats from a different year and the backspacing or offset os different. try to swap the wheel with one of the otheres and check there. i mean, the tire isnt wide or anything and it SHOULDNT rub. hell i have wider tires on te front and the only rubbign they have is at full turn lock. and then its only on the upper control arms.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey steve, the wheels are some old western steel holly wheels (cant think of the real name of wheel) but tried switching and that didnt help i started out with 245/60/14 and they really rubbed, put the 205/75/14 on thought i had it fixed but i dont

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I've got 235/60/15's and I noticed for the first time this evening that they really rubbed when taking a sharp corner. There is always a lot of creaking when we turn but not actual rubbing like this. If the tyres are not pumped up properly could they do this?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I ran 235/60/14's on the factory mags on wvcat for years before I bought the aluminum rims with no rubbing at all. If it rubs at the front or rear of the fender you may need to adjust your strut rods. If it rubs the strut rods its an issue with backspacing or steering stops. If it rubs top center it may be that your fender is just slightly bowed in. Alot of people roll the fender lips to get clearance. Hint: Jack the wheel up by the lower control arm and take a piece of pipe and lay on the tire. Turn the tire(and pipe) up around the fender to roll the lip. You may need several sizes of pipe to achieve enough roll.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its rubbing on the front of the fender at the bottom, i was just in the shop looking at it and it looks like maybe i need to pull the fender foward just a little its not up in the bumper as far as the drivers side but just incase that doesnt work is there anything special i should know about adjusting the strut rods?? looks staight foward but havent done it yet, doors all open ok , no hanging on the fender or anything but there is very little gap at the bottom

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The thing the strut rods are supposed to do is keep the tire centered in the fender but it is more important that the distance between the front & rear tire is the same on both sides. I'm not an alignment guy but an alignment rack would be the best place to adjust them because the fancy machines can make accurate measurements. The best you can do is measure center to center on the axle and the rotor or drum. You may want to look at the strut rod bushings, maybe they are worn out. Have some one help you watch the front wheel as you pull the car forward and hit the brakes and then do the same in reverse and look for movement in the location of the tire in the fender.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
145 Posts
Be careful about adjusting the strut rods because on all cougars the toe setting of the alignment is directly influenced by the strut rod adjustment. any changes should be done when aligning the car. On the stock suspension setup the upper control arm is at the wrong angle to work properly with the lower control arm. this causes the outside wheel to actually go into positive camber during a hard turn.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My car had 235x60x15's on front. It had horrible tire rub as soon as I got fenders back on it. I went to 205x60x15's and have all kinds of clearance. It was also the inside front edge of tire hitting bottom edge of fender.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Elimin8or70, Actually adjusting the strutrods changes the caster (the inclination of the kingpin) which in turn will change the toe settings because it actually moves the position of the steering arms to the steering linkage.

Think of caster as a door hinge, when its straight up and down the door swings straight sideways. But if the hinge is tilted (caster) the door will swing not only side to side but also up and down some which would have more effect on it hitting the bottom of the fender.

In all actuallity though I belive something is bent to allow such a standard size wheel and tire to hit the fender. mm

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well maybe i had better not adjust the strut rods but the bushings do need replaced, they look worn and im sure somthing is up with the alinment because straight ahead for the car has the steering wheel cocked left . also i noticed the fenders dont go up inside the bumper very far (you can see the rubber thing on fender really easy) doors open good though and the crome on the cowling looks good to. Im good at engine building but body work and panel adjusting sure comes hard for me. lol . oh yeah the car does pull right even with diff tires. ive had 235/70/14s 245/60/14s and 205/75/14s on the car looks staight under car but somthings got to be tweeked

1 - 11 of 11 Posts