Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
71 XR7, having issues with the tire having play in it while jacked up and tightened. It shouldnt have anything I thought. But lugs are tight and wont go further

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What kind of wheels? There are some Ford (and Mopar) wheels out there that have the correct 4&1/2 x 5 bolt pattern, but the center hole is slightly to small to fit all the way down over the rotor hub on some models.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How long were you driving with the hub nut so loose? If for a few days, I would watch for possible wheel bearing issues. IMO.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd go ahead and look at the bearings just for gits and shiggles...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already checked them and theyre good, looks like they were replace not that long ago. I went ahead and repacked the bearings and regreased the spindle and hub

·
Registered
170 Posts
So maybe that was your 60-70 mph vibration you felt up front??
Kevin
I hope this doesn't make me look a fool, but speed-dependent front end vibration can be a symptom of improperly balanced tires catching a resonance in the suspension, no? I had a Blazer about 10 years ago that had that problem right around 65mph (my excuse for speeding a bit, had to get away from that resonant spot) and after getting the tires balanced it was all gold. Is that maybe something worth checking? Or have you already? Sorry if I missed it in another thread. I'm a n00b here.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive had them balanced but need to get back to the place I had it done at because the weighs on the front fell off, guess not a good solid bond or something, because you can see where some where, but nothing there now.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ive had them balanced but need to get back to the place I had it done at because the weighs on the front fell off, guess not a good solid bond or something, because you can see where some where, but nothing there now.
Which also (almost assuredly) could be marks from former wheel weights... that were not required/needed when the new tires/balancing was done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts