Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ressurected my 67 std. Cougar after 11 years. I have a few problems that need to be taken care of. My front suspension was very bad when I stopped driven it, the steering wheel had about 3" of play. I had ordered a rebuilt steering box from John's Classic which is now installed. After taken a closer look my tie rods are gone upper & lower ball joints have some wear. All the springs(front & rear) where replaced about 14 years ago the car sits just like when it was put away.

I am looking at the "Real Big Kit" from American Pony. I have never heard of Midolyne, and know one here has said anything about. I have seen that I would need to order a 68 kit & 68 strut arms. Also everyone recomends that Ford rubber be used, but does that apply to Midolyne or just Poly. Help!!

Also all my power steering components are leaking badly, am I better off rebuiding them or elminate them alltoghether with the Manual steering adapter kit?

I ordered a set of Dynomax headers from Summit with the coating, any input on that decision. I have a Edlebrock Performer Carb, Intakeand, Cam with 2" exhaust & some off brand turbo mufflers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I can't help with the question about midolyne, never heard of it. But I may help with the power steering. I just recently rebuilt my ps control valve and wouldn't bother rebuilding it again, I spent around $60 for the parts when you can get it already rebuilt with a warranty for $80 from Auto Zone. I imagine they have the power cyl also, check it out.

If you were going to manual steering it would have been better to do it before you spent the money on a new steering box. You could have gotten a 19-1 manual box. The 16-1 power box will work but will take alot of effort to steer.

The choice is yours, how much you want to spend and do you really want the manual steering. Just make sure after you redo the front end and you take it in to get it lined up, call around to make sure you find a front end man that knows what he is doing, not some wiz bang kid that has never seen that type of setup before.mm

·
Registered
676 Posts
Real Big Kit

One caution if you are thinking of purchasing the real big kit from American Pony. That is a Mustang kit and it includes the rear springs. Mustang rear springs don't fit on a Cougar. I think 68 Cougar rear springs are something like 3 inches longer.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I also have a 67 and decided to get the 68 rebuild kit with 68 strut rods. The kit looks like good quality except the ball joints on the LCA are welded in. I got the front rebuild kit from Mustangs Plus and I got the 68 strut rods from Cascade Classics.

I got the manual steering adapter too, maybe I will put it in tomorrow.

I dont know much about Midolyne. I got the kit with all poly except for the spring perch bushings.

Were the headers short or long tube? How much did you pay?
I didnt see our application in the catalog for Dynomax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my experience with the rear springs were as follows:
I ordered a set from Mustangs Unlimited through the Cougar catalog. After installation, the rearend sank much too low. I finally brought it to a local suspension outfit and they swapped the springs for what is now a tiny bit higher rearend. I much prefer the higher one. Possilbly makes room for larger tires/wheels in the back for that "hotrod" look. Moral of the story - be careful when buying any suspension/steering parts from places that sell Mustang parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The headers are the long stlye and are listed under the Mustang, though the Summit tech says they will work for this car. I will post if I have problems. I paid $272.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I went with all moog parts when I rebuilt the suspension on my 69, rather than a kit. The only part that was not moog was the upper control arms. I also used rubber bushings rather than poly and am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
794 Posts
thats a sweet price. Let us know how they fit either way.
is that real ceramic coating, or just a silver hi temp paint?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cerimac coated, part # 86124. Headers should arrive today hope to have them installed hopefully by next weekend. So will give feed back on them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Midolyne Bushings

Midolyne bushings are a little more streetable than Urethane bushings as in they dont squeek like crazy and the ride comfort is is a bit better but still performs great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Polyurathane strut rod bushings should be avoided. They don't allow for much if any 'give' and can actually cause problems due to their excessive rigidity.

Moog has your best bet for replacement bushings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts