Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recall reading various threads regarding front suspension upgrades but my recent search of this forum didn't bring up any useful results on the topic. So I'm going to open this can one more time.

Cougrrcj mentioned that he's got a kit coming from PST which looks very good, and I've seen other kits at Mustangs Plus and elsewhere. Who has the best kit?

Should I look into getting the super delux replacements kits like this or one of the other kits similar to this?

I'd like to get the full meal deal with upper and lower control arms, tie rods, poly bushings, etc... The PST Super Front End kits are quite spendy, and I'm sure they are worth every penny but who else offers a similar kit?

If I can save a little bit on this upgrade it would be nice.

So maybe you guys who have been thru this can give us some insight... again :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Here is what I have learned from going through all of this. You will definately get the quality you pay for. I got the 68 kit from MP with the UCA/LCA, perch, bushings etc.. . The MP kit was average quality, but I had to drill out the holes for the strut rod bolts to fit the LCA, and also the UCA bushings were not centered on the arm. There must have been some sort of irregularity on the parts, because the alignment shop had to use one shim on the rear bolt of one of the UCA's. Oh, did I mention the ball joints were welded instead of rivited...

If I could do it again, I would save some cash and get a high quality replacement LCA and use the original UCA with new bushings. I would also get all of the parts powdercoated. Its cheaper than you think.

·
Registered
794 Posts
oh, and you will find two opinions on lubing the grease fittings for the UCA. Some recommend getting the cougar specific right angle grease fitting (30$) and lube it up with a needle tip on the grease gun. Others say screw it, like Ford did and grease them once and cap them off. Thats what I did because it makes the most sense to me. There is no place for the grease to escape on the bushing, so it should last the life of the bushing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
pst suspension kit all the way

i was in the same boat you were in deciding on what would suspension kit to get. I have a 68 cougar and I put on the pst super fornt end kit which comes with everything. You can go on their web site and it tells you what comes with the kit. You are absolutely right about it being costly but its worth it. There were no modifications that had to be done to the car when the kit was installed. My car drove so much nicer after it was installed. If cost is an issue, then go with the original front end kit offered by pst. hope that helps.

lithi :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll also be replacing the front coil springs and shocks at the same time. My initial thought was to use the KYB Gas-Adjust front shock and a 620 pound spring, however I recently discovered progressive rate springs from Pro-Motorsports and wondering if this is a better spring than the 620's.

390 to 520 lbs/in

Pro-Motorsports' article detailing the virtues of their variable rate spring makes sense but then again I'm not a spring and suspension expert here.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I have the PST kit in my 69 and am quite happy with it... I run the 620's with KYB's and am really happy with the road feel... :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I used delux kit from Mustangs Unlimited. Everything fit and I'm pleased. I wish I had changed springs.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I used the 550# springs from NPD for 66$/pair. They ride firm, but not too bad. How much are the progressive springs? They are usually quite a bit more $.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
550# springs sound pretty good too and that price you paid is killer! The progresive rate springs are offered in 4 different rates for $159 + s&h a pair

65/66 SMALL BLOCK, 350 TO 480 lbs/in
65/66 SMALL BLOCK, Competition 480 to 680 lb/in
67/73 SMALL AND INTERMEDIATE BLOCK, 390 TO 520 lbs/in
67/73 BIG BLOCK, 460 to 600 lbs/in

I have a 302 with AC and I dont want the front to be super stiff but I want to be able to push the car thru turns without a lot of body roll as well as being able to handle uneven surfaces with a degree of driver/passenger comfort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well Evil, I just ordered a lots of suspension stuff yesterday. I ordered it from Canadian Mustang, basically because it saves me big import $$$. I have read somewhere on here that their hardware on the sway bars was pretty flimsy so I'm hoping for the best. I got the big replacement kit of uppers and lowers, perches, insulators, and strut bushings. Also from taking the advice of some other members, I opted to get new inner and outer tie rods, adjuster sleeves, and a new idler arm with bushings. I got the 1' sway bar as well as a monte carlo bar. Whew! I had to sell one of my guitars :( and got some speakers up for sale to pay for all of that stuff. I didn't want to have any weak links in the front end, so I bit the bullet. Now come to think of it, the weak link might be my ability to put it all together!

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you want the best of handling then you need to contact Total Control Products about their coil over and rack and pinion kits. these are the same kits used on the mustangs in the movie Gone in 60 seconds. I have heard many good things about there products although they are pricey.

good luck

chris

·
Registered
794 Posts
NPD = National Parts Depot

the knuckleheads do not have a url listed in the catalog ?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts