Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 standard cougar. The floor was completely rusted out when I bought it. I've been cutting it out in small pieces and welding it in, starting at the back. I'm now at the front (which was the worse) and i noticed that the passenger side subframe is higher than the driver side. Should I be concerned about this and how should I fix it.

The hight is the only difference I noticed, the fender and door gaps are all even.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I would be very concerned.
It will affect wheel alignment.... and steering ....and braking. You know, that safety stuff.

There are unitized frame measurements in the shop manual for Cougars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks. I have a lot of books on them, I'll try to find that. I'll most likely end up in a auto shop getting the frame allignment ($$$)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Maybe someone at sometime raised the car with a floor jack, under the frame rail extension. Having a rusty pan and a rust weakened rail extension, it would not take a lot of pressure too push a hump in the floor pan. Here's the specs. page3_large cougar frame alignment.jpg With properly placed and leveled jack stands, you could find out if it is rust fatigue or an improperly addressed previous accident. In rust repair, the critical areas would have to be stabilized(repaired) on the frame rack, if there was an alignment issue. A production body shop may be a little pricey in tying up their rack with a rust repair. My partners shop charges $300 for the initial rack setup, and more charges for each pull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts