Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody
I am in desperate need of under the hood measurements for a 72 cougar convertible or hard top. I need a measurement of a front clip with the fender removed,from the very front to a rather large hole (about 1 inch) just before the rubber gromit just before the wind shield.Here are a few pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello!
I know there has to be someone out there that has a fender off their 71-73 Cougar.All I'm asking is for a simple measurement from the front to the rubber bumper by the wipers.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I do indeed have the front fenders off one of my '73s... BUT most everything has been replaced (front aprons, rear aprons, radiator support) so I can't guarantee that the measurement is 100% accurate. Nothing more infuriating than welding in a bunch of stuff and then realizing that the dimensions are off... The best source for the factory-spec dimensions would be to look at or get a copy of the body/chassis manual set. It gives all sorts of dimensions so you can ensure that everything is straight and square.

My buddy has a 72 manual, but I haven't seen him in months... I know we used that manual when we were rebuilding his very rusty Mustang 351CJ 4-spd 'vert over 25 years ago. That manual was very valuable since we replaced just about everything - front and rear fender aprons, radiator support, floors, rocker panels, rebuilt rear frame rails, quarter panels, rear body (taillight) panel, etc... The things we ECIs will do to resurrect a car... :uhoh: :eek7:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Cougrrcj
Thanks for replying.I do have the manual but it dose not have the under the hood measurements.I to did replace some apron two of which were the one's that attach to the fire wall and I could be out an inch.I am having a hard time marrying the new sub frame to the body,it's pivitting in the middle on both sides.I get it tite for the floor then the aprons that attach to the firewall is out,I make it tite to the firewall the floor is out.back and forth.And when all this is going on the tork box is half inch out on both sides.Frustrating,Getting the measurements from the front to the rubber bumper by the wippers will help me lots,then I'll know where the fenders are going to line up and I will make the rest fit! So I would love it if you could PM me the measurements or post them.Thanks
Butch

·
5,470 Posts
I'll go out to a couple of my (I do have four) '73s tonight, measure, and let you know what each of them are...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Cougrrcj
Come on guys there must be more 71-73 Cougars with a fender off,get out your measuring tapes and join in,the more measurements the better! Measure from the front of your front clip (where the fenter bolts up to) to the rubber bumper by the windshield wipper are.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll go out to a couple of my (I do have four) '73s tonight, measure, and let you know what each of them are...
Hey Cougrrcj
I'm under the gun and really need those measurements today.My body guy is coming this afternoon(anytime now).Thanks

·
5,470 Posts
PM sent...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts