Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the comments guys :) yeah im not 100% with having one.....bit worried about drilling holes in the old girl lol but i think the black would go well with the scoop.
damn shame no-one sells them in UK though - it will cost me two times as much to deliver than to buy it lol....doh!!
Here's another pic for you all :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I say yes but paint it the color of the car like Local Hero's. I see you have the bumperettes too. Did you have to drill into the valence to install them? If so, were you going to plug the holes when you installed the spoiler?

Ben

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
thanks for the comments guys :) yeah im not 100% with having one.....bit worried about drilling holes in the old girl lol but i think the black would go well with the scoop.
damn shame no-one sells them in UK though - it will cost me two times as much to deliver than to buy it lol....doh!!
Here's another pic for you all :)

Thanks for the additional pictures. Your car "sits" nice.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
No, No, NO! Too contrasting, do you want your Cat to look like this?

View attachment 23641
View attachment 23643 If you feel you must put one on then make it the same color as the car IMHO.
BTW nice CAT!
....and the perfect example why I always paint body mods such as scoops, spoilers and air dams the body color. It integrates them into the whole package better rather than looking like a bolted on afterthought.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Here's an artist rendering of a Cougar from Hermance Designs with a small front spoiler. It think this looks like the perfect size. I've never been a fan of the front spoilers that are added to '67/'68 Cougars. I think they look way too big and do not compliment the looks of the car. I've been thinking about what it would take to fabricate one these myself. It seems like 1in thick foam insulation used for houses could be laminated and sanded to make a mold for fiberglass.

http://www.hubgarage.com/original.html?src=http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/242751/68COUGAR.jpg

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the additional pictures. Your car "sits" nice.
You're welcome and thanks :) Little bit of 'euro' styling with the stance

So far the overall opinion seems to be to go for a spoiler........with possibly painting it the same colour as the car.

Hmm...i'm thinking black so it goes with the scoop and contrasts with the blue, hopefully well lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes to the spoiler personal taste on color same as the car or black will depend on type of spoiler I'd say. I wanted black detailed scoop and spoilers so I went with a spoiler that fit the car and would look good black oh and was cheap $30 100_1223.jpg 100_1410.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is not a bad price. I say buy one bolt it on. If you don't like it you could resell it and get some of your money back. Don't paint it, any rock chips or curb rash would look like hell. Things that low on a car should be black or dark.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Personally, I think you need to decide either one or the other. I think trying to run both is a conflict on "style." The bumper guards lend themselves more toward the classier side while the spoiler leans more toward the sporty/racier side. Doing both looks gaudy.

Yeah, my front spoiler had the cutouts too... 30 years ago.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I figured that too. I wanted the urethane spoiler but it took a few months for the supplier to get them in, so in the meantime I got impatient and went with the bumper guards. I had to drill into the valence to install them, so it would be a lot more work to change to the spoiler at this point.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I vote no. Not just no, but for sure 100% positive no. They look bad just like oversize mufflers on small import cars.
BTW, your car looks real nice.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My vote is no... your car looks great as-is. Great stance. The one thing I would change, like Local Hero said, is to have the hood scoop be the same color as the body. But that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I say if you do add the spoiler go with a body color match like Local Hero's car. I love your color combo, don't let it turn out like the Cougar that Catman posted pictures of. That car "screams" add on.
Steven

1 - 20 of 23 Posts