Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a Fairlane's round headlights are the same as a Cougars, theres a guy here with a really old Fairlane that he is taking the motor out of, says I can help myself to anything on the car that is not engine related, relays that sort of thing.

I can also get a 197? Ranchero with a 302 engine [running condition] with a/t etc in working order for $500, the body is shot but the engine is apparently okay, anybody got any opinions?
I don't want it, my hubby does!!!!:(

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yes the headlights are the same. 4 lamp system, high and low beams. Its amazing how much parts swap over, Im stripping my Cougar most days cuz of the Fairlane keeps breaking stuff. I bought new front end parts for my Cougar years ago, but ended putting them on my Fairlane cuz I didnt have the money to buy another set (the Cougar stuff wasnt being used), Now I used up most of my Cougar parts, I need to buy stuff for the Cougar now to get it running (all front end parts, doh!!) Now my Fairlane handles good, just need a motor, and NO the Cougar motor ISNT going in the Fairlane, Im not that sick :) my wife drives the Fairlane, and think she'd freak with a 500hp Cleveland :)

Rick

·
Registered
889 Posts
they will fit I got some out of a 79 mark IV pluged right in.Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick

Explain that 500hp to me, ours only gets about 260, or so we have been told, 500 sounds 'sweet'. Do you need any Fairlane scripts?????LOL:)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The 500hp is a Boss 351 that has been stroked to 408 cubic inches, has 4 barrel heads, port and polished, solid cam with 320 duration, tunnel ram with 2 660 cfm holley's, etc. Gonna rock :)

Rick

If you have any "Fairlane 500" scripts, that'll be cool, but I have lots thanx.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick

Please repeat that, slowly, and in english:)

·
Registered
433 Posts
dark7068 said:
The 500hp is a Boss 351 that has been stroked to 408 cubic inches, has 4 barrel heads, port and polished, solid cam with 320 duration, tunnel ram with 2 660 cfm holley's, etc. Gonna rock :)

Rick

If you have any "Fairlane 500" scripts, that'll be cool, but I have lots thanx.
Hey, the car I'm pulling my engine from is a 65 Fairlane that was in pretty good shape until my friend flipped it. If you need anything, let me know. I believe it even has A/C.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Thanx kirk, but I have everything I need I think, plus I might be getting another parts car with an awesome running 390 :D

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick

Does 'stroked' mean 'bored' out. What difference if any does having a 'performer' manifold make, [hp I mean], what is the normal hp for my 351c2V, you know what it is, why are edelbrock airfilter covers and manifold covers put on, is it just to look good?

Sorry, many many questions, still waiting to hear from family in Canada, will make my own enquiries tomorrow [Monday].:)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dayle, it means bored and stroked. Here's a link to the kit that is in my Cleveland. :)

http://www.speedomotive.com/351c_to_408_stroker_crank_kit.htm

Edelbrock stuff is just dress up (make it look nice), doesnt effect hp. Not sure what the 72 hp rating is, cant find my book, but they are good motors, even with 2V heads, they can be made to move quickly with planning :) Just need a good cam, good exhaust, and nice 4 barrel.

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Dayle,
Simply put, "Stroked" means that the length of the piston travel has been increased, thus increasing cylinder volume. Most usually by replacing the crankshaft. "Bored" means that the circumference of the cylinder has been enlarged. Either of these techniques will result in more cubic inches of displacement, thus Rick's 408 cubic inches from what was a 351ci engine.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the explanations, so long is good and fat is good, hmmmm. My holley is a two barrel right?
There again with our strict speeding laws it would'nt be worth trying to make it faster, unless we were into illegal dragracing, but I prefer to just watch those, no need to mess up my 'soon to be amazingly good looking micropearl avus blue kitty'.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
it isnt about going over the speed limit its how fast you get there that counts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
wait...wait..... wait..... You put cougar parts in a fairlane????
That makes me go HMMMmmmmmm...... sorry I like all FMC products ....but .......:1poke: :eek2:

Don

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Actually, the only "Cougar Part" in the Fairlane is the hood scoop, but I found a Boss 429 scoop thats going on next week :) All other parts are new ford parts I just had for the Cougar, I "didnt" put the 9in. with 3.91 gears in it, or my bucket seats, or spoiler, or mirrors, or....... Im crazy, not stupid:):):);) Now my Fairlanes almost finished, I can concentrate on the Cougar and get "new improved" Cougar/Ford parts. :) Life is good.

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts