Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so 68 KAT had the mishap and all is right with the world once again. Or so it would seem...

The front glass leaks like a sieve now and I am going to replace the gasket around the glass.

Has anyone attempted this through repainting their cat? If so, how tough is it and what can I do to make sure I dont break the windshield? Not to mention avoiding the creation of MORE leaks...

Ken

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just did my '68 (car's at the paint shop right now!!). It wasn't hard at all, I just put some weatherstrip adhesive in the channel of the gasket that the glass fits in and pulled the gasket on around it. I let that set up then run a piece of clothesline in the channel that the window frame fits in with about a foot extra on each end, at the top center (I didn't put adhesive here). Next I put a bead of adhesive around the lip of the frame and let it set for a couple of minutes. I laid the window against the frame with the ends of the clothesline hanging to the inside. Have a helper put pressure on the outside as you pull the line from the inside. This will force the lip of the frame into the channel of the gasket. Don't get in a hurry. After I got it in I ran a bead of the adhesive around the outside where the gasket meets the metal. It hasn't rained yet and I haven't tested it yet to see if it's going to leak. Used the same procedure for the back glass. Good luck!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
to remove the winsheild carefully remove the molding the get some safety wire rather thick and sturdy push it through the sealeant untill it is inside the car pull enough you ccan wrap it around a screwdriver or hammer. do this on both sides the get a helper to be on one end you on the other than just pull it around the window this will cut the sealant. then slowly push the winsheild out applying even pressure here is were patience is a virtue because you dont want to use a small area presure to push, some may laugh but i have found using my big old size twelves to be the best as i can supply enough pressure with my legs and a large contact area so no pressure points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts