Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AMK kit that I bought came with new studs and 7/16 nuts to attach the front fender extensions. The nuts look too small to properly hold the extension in place.

Is there supposed to be a washer under the nut? As an alternative I have some extra nuts with the large flange that are used to attach the rear exentions and I'm thinking about using those.

Anyone know what the correct way to attach these?

Thanks,

·
Registered
152 Posts
My kit came with nuts that had a washer with the underneath (side that seats against the fenders metal) coated with rubber. The kit came with the master fastener kit for my 67' from Ken's Cougars. I bet if you wanted original you could find it in MU or whatever. If you're pressed for time and money just rig up a larger washer and cut some thin rubber to go between the washer and fender. It ain't nothin' fancy, just a cushion for absorption with rattles.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think you have the correct nuts from what you have described (but not sure without a picture or more detailed description). Here is my description of the originals. The original nuts are black (phosphate) finish and have small captive conical washers that protrude maybe 3/16" from the nut around its periphery. They do seem small but they are correct (if you have what I described).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes Bob, That's exactly what I have. They just "look" small in comparison to the holes in the fender.

The nuts that 351CJ HELLCAT described are more in line with what I was expecting.

I'll test fit them tonight with the nuts from AMK and see how it goes.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes Bob, That's exactly what I have. They just "look" small in comparison to the holes in the fender.

The nuts that 351CJ HELLCAT described are more in line with what I was expecting.

I'll test fit them tonight with the nuts from AMK and see how it goes.

Thanks,
I figured you had the right ones. Yes, the holes in the fender seem big for the size of the nuts/washers, but all is correct.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As usual Bob's got it.

I tried using the larger nuts with some insulation on the back and they don't hold the extension tightly even when torqued down. The smaller nuts with the serrations on the integral washer that came with the kit work perfectly. Even with much less torque on the nut the extension is firmly in place.

Thanks for the assist!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts