Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the major differences for the front ends (mainly suspension/brakes) for the '67 and '68?

I have posted that two of my Coug's are up for sale but there hasn't been a lot of interest in them, so, I have been kicking around the idea of stripping the front end off of the 68 and replacing the 67's front end (as well as the rest of the suspension as the '68 is loaded with performance mods). I am curious as to what issues I might run into when swapping components. I can only take one car with me so I am trying to gather all of the best parts I have and build (and/or transport the parts) one Coug. I know there are differences in the front ends but not sure exactly what?

I want to make sure that there's nothing too significant because I will benefit from swapping the components from my '67 to the performance parts from my '68. Thanks in advance.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i believe the only diffrence is the strut rods are different but i think the rest bolts up but royce is the guy who should be answering this if anyone can tell you its him.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was something along those lines. If that is the case and the only major difference is the strut rods then I think the swap is definatley worth the effort. All I need now is for Royce to see this and give me his input. (All input from other members will be greatly appreciated as well.) Thanks cougarguy.

Real quick, is the '68 design better than the '67? That would just be an added bonus. Thanks!

·
11,000 Posts
It will all swap

The 67 has those articulated compliance struts and different hole pattern in the lower control arms as a result. 67 Cougars wear out front tires faster due to this compliance motion.

If you use the 68 strut rods then everything suspension wise will swap.

Another difference in 67 - 68 is that the power steering pressure hose went from 1/4" diameter (1967) reverse flare to 5/16" diameter (1968) reverse flare regarding the fitting size at the control valve. This makes low speed parking manuevers have more assist on the 68's.

The early (before January 1, 1967) Cougars had a long steering box shaft and no rag joint. Everything about the steering column and its mounting arrangement changed from 1967 to 1968, as did the steering wheeel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info Royce, it is greatly appreciated. Now I get to go home and figure out how to make it all happen! I will be moving to the Cincinnati area in the near future. I look forward to meeting some fellow Cougar enthusiasts out there in the Tri-state area. Royce, you can bet that I'll be asking you as well as all the Kentuckiana Cougar members for advice when I get out there, thanks again!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran into a new issue....

If the '68 brakes are drum and the '67 brakes are disc, can I still swap out the '68 suspension (including the strut rods which are different) and still keep my discs? :cry:

Somebody please say yes :( ... (Say yes because it works, not just because I asked you too :D)

·
11,000 Posts
Sure.

The 67 brake setup works great on the 68 suspension.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Either spindle/rotor package will bolt up to either year.

Here is a pic of the difference in the strut rods. The dirty one is the 67. Check on my site under suspension for a ton more pics...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys! I'm sure that I'll be checking out your website CrazyCat if I have any further questions...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts