Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what cause this, when I turn left from a stop and get my speed up to say 30-40 mph, suddenly the car will drift to the right and for a second or 2 I have no control and then it straightens out. This only seems to happen after turning a corner,always left. I have tryed to get it to do this by swaying back n forth at different speeds but it only does it after turning left and always at different speeds.I have looked at front end and nothing appears to be loose or broke, sway bar bushings need replaced. Could anyone shed some light on this me me thanks aj

• :wave:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would lean towards the power steering control valve and possible binding/pinched power steering hoses. Then steering box.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I would lean towards the power steering control valve and possible binding/pinched power steering hoses. Then steering box.
No P/S control valve/slave cylinder on 71-73s...

My bet would be that either your steering linkages (idler arm, tie rod ends, etc) are worn or you need a front end alignment. Given the symptoms you describe, this is what happens when the toe-in is not correct or the caster is off.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yea, just caught the user name, My 71 Taz. My apologies TAZ, if I lead you astray,....assumed '67-'70.:uhoh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts