Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 mercury cougar xr7. im replacing the front suspension on both sides and was told there is a special way to do it or i could get hurt fromt he shock or something? Any tips or advice? id love to have a step by step if anyone would be willing

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Mustangs Plus has good quality replacement parts (grab-a-trak) for reasonable prices. They have good step by step how-to articles in their catalogs, they probably have the articles on their website too.

I would also use the search function here, I'm sure there are a lot of postings on suspension rebuilds

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
It's the coil spring that can hurt you if it sproings out of place while you're unbolting things.
Rent or purchase a coil spring compressor to remove and replace the old coils while working on the front suspension.

The compressor simply squishes the spring to a compact size that's easily removed from the car and keeps the energy of the spring contained while squishing it so you don't get hurt.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yes, if a spring goes ssspkanggg into you it could break you in half... I have heard of coils breaking arms and such. It's a great deal of energy squished up in them. It always makes me nervous to R/R coil springs.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
" It always makes me nervous to R/R coil springs. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->"

Me too!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a 73 mercury cougar xr7. im replacing the front suspension on both sides and was told there is a special way to do it or i could get hurt fromt he shock or something? Any tips or advice? id love to have a step by step if anyone would be willing
It's the coil spring that can hurt you if it sproings out of place while you're unbolting things.
Rent or purchase a coil spring compressor to remove and replace the old coils while working on the front suspension.

The compressor simply squishes the spring to a compact size that's easily removed from the car and keeps the energy of the spring contained while squishing it so you don't get hurt.
Also, Safety First!!! I Loop a piece of 5/16" Chain through the center of the spring long enough to allow the arm to go slack, and Bolt the ends together. Just in Case! :icon16:

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
" It always makes me nervous to R/R coil springs. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->"

Me too!
Ditto. I treated mine as if they were bombs. Take your time, and be careful. The second one comes off easier than the 1st. Rent a good quality tool-- you can get them from most major autoparts chains.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had one spring slip out of the compressor and completely break an upper controal arem in half but other than that it was a success lol

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
On a lot of mustang/old ford boards you can hunt around and find where one or more posters have broken their hand or something doing coils in an unsafe way.
It's not an old wives tale and is pretty scary when you put a pencil to how much energy is stored in that thing before it comes out (one way or another.)

The safety chain around the spring is SOP for using a compressor. Very good advice mentioning that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A compressed spring is scary, that's why I use a Snap On spring compressor that safely compresses the spring up into the tower off the upper control arm. Than I can unbolt the upper control arm and then release the spring back down for removal. But even that scares me. But I think that is the safe way of doing it. Use a quality tool that compresses up and wear face protection (got to have a pretty face driving a Hot Cougar). Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts