Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an annoying and audible squeak originating in the front end of my '68 XR-7. When I was a kid, I used to hear adults speak of the "Ford squeak" and now I think I have one! I have new KYB shocks all around and had the chassis lubricated during my last oil change.

Any ideas how to approach the problem?

Thanks,

DCL

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, your bushings are likely shot, but getting at them is no fun either! You may want to consider full replacement anf going to a bearing set up rather that bushings:
http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/products/

Not cheap, but if you eventually want to imporove the handling this is a good start - particularly if you have to tear into it anyways....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your coil spring perches on the bottom of each spring. I had this problem on the right, and with the $18 replacement part, the noise is silenced. I'll do the other side in a couple weeks.

·
11,000 Posts
The repro lower control arms are often made too wide or have the inner bushing centered improperly. Either way the control arm then hits the frame hard, resulting in a godawful squeak from even the slightest movement. Old worn out originals can have the same problem. I've found this condition and the spring saddles to be the cause of the most noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, Jim those parts you showed from WCCC are the ones that solved the squeaking problem for me. The upper control arms had grease fittings installed by a previous owner, so that wasn't the issue in my case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts