Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and looked at the 69 cougar I posted about a week ago or so. It was fantastic except the front end to me, seems to be in need of a full redo. There was 6+ inches of "play" in the steering wheel with very little effect on the acyual steering. Perhaps the steering box needs to be rebuilt or a new one better yet.

I am trying to get an idea of the cost in materials for a new steering box, and front end swap out. Tie rods, control arms, all bushings, etc. Is someone able to say that the cost for this is roughly -----? How hard is it to GET all these parts? Are they mustang parts or specific for the cougar? I believe that I could do most if not all the work myself, so labor is not too much of an issue, unless there are unforseen issues requiring me to have to pay for that too.

Thank you in advance.

I walked away from this one for now, it was the first one I saw/drove. I was just taken aback by all I was going to have to do to get it riding correctly. I thought it was going to be turnkey.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
All the parts in question are the same as mustang. Cost, for full front end will be around $500 give or take, less if no springs. I doubt you really need a new steering box, probably just adjustment and PS control valve rebuild.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. If a rebuild is only what is needed, is this something that can be done by onesself or does it need to go to a shop for a rebuild? I am just trying to get a handle on where I might need to get started.

Thank you.

Bill
All the parts in question are the same as mustang. Cost, for full front end will be around $500 give or take, less if no springs. I doubt you really need a new steering box, probably just adjustment and SP control valve rebuild.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Oops, I meant to say PS control valve. You can rebuild it yourself if you are goo dwith that sort of thing and the sleeve is not worn out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I have never done one it would be safe to say that I am not good yet with that sort of thing.

Thanks.Bill;
Oops, I meant to say PS control valve. You can rebuild it yourself if you are goo dwith that sort of thing and the sleeve is not worn out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts