Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to redo my front end with a-frame bushings and anything else I might need under there. Where can I get the right parts? I read the thread below about mustangs unlimted selling these parts and they being the wrong ones so I really don't want to put the wrong ones on. Next is my power steering unit ( the one with the ram under the car ) do they make rebuild kits for this and were can I get it. It leaks a pint of power steering fluid about every 3 days so I 've got to get this fixed.
Thanks Paul W. 67std

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
far as i know, if you get 68 parts youll be fine. i might be wrong, but thats what ive heard.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I know rebuild kits are available at Mustangs Unlimited (have their catalogue!) and must be available at other parts dealers as well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Paul, both the Power steering control valve and the assist cyl can be rebuilt or replaced with new or rebuilt pieces. The choice is yours, as to if you have the abiltilty to rebuild them yourself or not.

Autozone has the best prices I have come by for them and would reccomend just replacing them that way.

Wait for the other thread to be resolved as to the other front end parts being wrong or not. mm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done front ends before once on my 64 dodge polara 383 and on a 66 stang 6 cyl. But as far as the power steering goes this will be my first time. Any hints on this would be great.
Thanks Paul W. 67std

·
Registered
794 Posts
For the suspension, it all depends on what you want to replace. I have a 67 and replaced the original parts with new 68 LCA, UCA springs and used 68 strut rods. See my site and click on suspension for pics.

The 67 uses a articulated strut rod that has a bushing on the LCA end. This bushing tends to make for sloppy handling and was done away with in 68. The mounting point is different for the strut rod too. The UCA is the same for 67/68.
I'll let you guess which one is the 67: (hint, *dirty*)

·
Registered
794 Posts
oh, and another thing. If I could do it again, I would go with a new high quality (moog/trw) LCA and new bushings on the original UCA. I bought the entire 68 kit from a major supplier and the parts are ok, but not the best of quality.

Example, I had to slightly enlarge the strut rod bolt holes for the bolts to tap all of the way in to the LCA. They were not wide enough for the splined bolts to seat properly. The ball joints were also welded to the arms (upper and lower). I was expecting rivits.

Also, the UCA bushings were not perfectly centered so I wasted major time fixing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts