Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been chasing squeaks, rattles, bumps etc for many years on the '70. they are so intermittent it is hard to pinpoint the source, but i have changed out a lot of the front end parts.

just curious if anyone has found likely culprits that seem to always need changing - upper control arms, spring seats, bushings, etc? good, old school mechanics who are familiar with these old front ends are just too hard to find-

billy

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMHO... urethane bushings are squeaky, stabilizer bar bushings tend to squeak- did you replace with rubber or urethane?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Spring perches, contorl arm bushings, and front brake pads (rattle clips) are prone to rattles/sqeaks. Urethane is very squeaky - I'd avoid it.....rubber won't last as long but it's still the smoothest/quietest.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
UCA pivots are infamous for squeaking. They are metal to metal, the nuts are threaded as are the dogbones and if they are not kept greased they wear and squeak like mad.

·
Registered
442 Posts
One I have had several times, including right now, is the top rubber spacer in the front shocks.
It wears out and pushes it out. Now you have metal to metal clunk.

Very unnerving when you here it the first time, on the highway, at about 70 mph.

Mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are a set of grease fitting in the front wheel wells that often get missed when greasing all the others zerks. Depending on the wheels and tires you are running you may have to take wheel off to get at them or just jack up one side at a time to reach them. Whenever mine starts to squeak, it is usually because of these fittings being missed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts